Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Parttime Programs @ GULC, GW, GM, American and UMd  (Read 1122 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
Parttime Programs @ GULC, GW, GM, American and UMd
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
I have an opportunity to have my company completely fund my legal education. What I am wondering is do you all have any peers enrolled in a part time program? What are their thoughts? What might the work load be like?

My field is real estate and construction.
So i would like to work under my in-house counsel in that area

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Parttime Programs @ GULC, GW, GM, American and UMd
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
I've got a couple friends that work at the patent office here in DC and are doing GW part-time at night. They've said it's tough at times, but not utterly back-breaking. They do have to give up their weekends every now and then.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
I work FT and attend GW PT.

I would say you will give up more than a few of your weekends simply because that is the only time you have to get the week's reading assignments done, etc....  Its definitely a lot of work and a pain at times (especially when there are PT students that don't work at all), but it is also definitely doable.  We will see just how doable after exams in two weeks though I guess.

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
I appreciate the insight. Do you all think it would be helpful to have my company reduce my hours from an assumed 40hrs to 30hrs. Though I am salaried I like the idea of making 25% less with the compromise of working less hours and a fixed schedule. Especially since I don't have to pay a dime. Also how many students are in a given class GW parttime.

wblaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »

I work FT and go to law school PT.  I give up every single weekend, both days, to do it.  Some of my classmates are able to either study after class, but I'm just not physically able to study at 9pm at night after a 13-14 hour day.

1L I did substantive work on Saturdays and legal writing on Sundays.  This year I'm doing substantive work on Saturdays and law review on Sunday.  So if I wasn't doing LR, I would actually have a day off.

If you can afford to work PT, I would highly recommend it.  8-10 less hours means you can get all your substantive class studying done during the week, and some of your legal writing as well.  My employer wouldn't go for PT.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
You will be in a section, at GW our section has like 131 people in it or something.

My company also pays my way, however, I would make sure if you only work PT for them whether they would still do so or not.  I am guessing they wouldn't as it flat out doesn't make any sense.

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »
You will be in a section, at GW our section has like 131 people in it or something.

My company also pays my way, however, I would make sure if you only work PT for them whether they would still do so or not.  I am guessing they wouldn't as it flat out doesn't make any sense.

It wouldn't be so much of a part-time gig as it would be a salary reduction. Say for instance I make 100K (which I don't just for the record  :'( )I would earn a salary of 75,000 in exchange I would be on a set schedule and only work 30hrs a week(off the record). Still being able to retain my benefits

I appreciate the wisdon and precaution JRUT.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »
I am just finishing up my first semester in the part-time program at USD while working 30 hours a week.  Definately drop your hours if you can because the extra sleep and study time makes a huge difference.  Your life will consist entirely of school and work, with small breaks for significant others.  A typical week day for me starts with working from 9:30am-4pm, class and or studying from 5:30-9:30pm.  Because I have a long commute, this usually means I leave the house around 8:30am and get home around 10:30pm. Weekends I spend at least 8 hours each day, but take a two hour breaks for lunch and dinner.  I spend a minimum of 30 hours per week for classes and homework.  

Law school is a lot more work than undergrad.  The professors do not "teach" you the subject you are studying, they generate discussions in which you argue for or against something and explain why you chose the argument you chose.  You have to read the assignments because class participation or lack of it will affect your grade.  The reading is weird because you are reading actual cases from which you have to figure out what the law is.  The legal writing assignments are the worst because you cannot have anyone else review your work and many of the assignments you are not allowed to discuss with anyone.  
3.7ish, 170+

murph0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:15:04 PM »
wow, you guys are getting law school completely paid for?  any committment papers to sign/stay on for so many years after?

That is fantastic, and pretty rare, atleast from what I have seen.  Companies cannot write that off like they can an undergrad or MBA...

Congrats - very impressive...

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
Again thank you for the input. Do you know whether or not you can choose hours at your discretion or is there a mandatory amount of hours per semester. If it is the former couldn't you go throuch conceivably at a snails pace and graduate 5 years later?

Regarding the payment of the law school...with my company you have to have at least one year under your belt and they will pay any tuiton mba, jd or otherwise.