Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't know if I want to be a lawyer anymore!  (Read 6294 times)

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know if I want to be a lawyer anymore!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 12:07:32 AM »
Ok- why the judgmental attitude? We've all had to make choices in our lives, and if they're the wrong ones, we should be able to deal with it and make the changes we have to make. I am not sure if I should be here, so I'm leaving and not coming back unless I'm sure. I made a choice, and I'm accepting the consequences, which luckily are not that bad, since I'll be able to come back without any trouble should I decide to. I understand the importance of my choices, and am taking full accountability for my actions, I just don't see what's wrong with thinking you want something and then taking action when you realize you may have been wrong.

I did not mean to sound harsh. It could be exam period that's put me in an irritable state of mind. Do what is best for yourself. In the meantime, keep your chin up. It takes endurance to get through this.

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 02:11:53 AM »
My problem is not with true opinions that come off as harsh, it is with being told that I "don't understand the importance of choices and accountability" just because I'm having second thoughts about the law, which people even on this thread have admitted does happen. I made a choice to come to law school because I thought the law was going to be my career- now I don't know so I'm taking time off. Where does that make me irresponsible or unaware of the importance of my choices? In any case, no offense to this website, but I was using it more as a sounding board than as actual "advice." I think it would be pretty foolish to base a life-changing decision on what a few people I've never met think. I am doing other things to make an informed decision, and I just wanted to post on this site to see if another perspective on my problem comes to the surface, given that law students post here and perhaps have had similar experiences to mine. In fact, I looked into a leave of absence instead of withdrawing due to posting on this site. No hard feelings, I just don't appreciate the implication that I've done something wrong in all of this, as I've done my best to make the right choices all along, and we can all agree hindsight is 20/20.

Icy Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 02:03:08 PM »
You sound like I did after my first year of law school in 1999. At the end of that year, I dealt with some personal family stuff as well as grappling with the question of whether I wanted to even be a lawyer. Looking back on that time, I realize that my doubts about a legal career were largely exacerbated by my personal situation. However, I dropped out, and went back to work for five years. I beat myself for that five years for having dropped out, having not talked to anyone at the school to see if I could get help, and having acted rashly without looking at the root of concerm.

So, after five years of knowing that dropping out of law school had been the wrong choice, I reapplied to several law schools. And not only did I get into law school, but I was offered substantial scholarships at most of the schools I applied to (probably due to my work experience). I also used my personal statement to explain why I dropped out the first time and what I learned from the whole experience.

The only bad thing was that I was forced to repeat my first year. So if you do take some time off, don't take too much time in deciding whether or not you want to come back. But you're spending so much money on school, that I don't think taking some time off to decide if this is really right for you is a bad thing. And the fact that you have attended before will not necessarily keep you from getting accepted later (provided you give the schools a good reason for having left in the first time.)

When you returned, how old were you? Did you go full time or part time?  What did you do when you quit?

inthelaw45

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »
I'm finishing up my first semester.  I don't really love law school and have toyed with my other options.  I may not return next semester, but I am at least going to take my finals and finish this one as well as I can.  I just want to say:

It takes ALOT of courage to LEAVE law school.  I would almost argue it takes more courage to go than to stay.  Sure, it's a tough place, and I commend those who stick it out.  But I also commend those who really get past their own self-deception and truly grasp the fact that they don't want to be a lawyer or stay in law school.  There is no "safe" choice.  But I think it's really sad when I meet a 3L who is buried in debt that says, "I wish I would have dropped out my first year".  I wish that person would have too, because the last thing this profession needs are more miserable people who don't want to be in it.

amityjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:36:24 PM »
You sound like I did after my first year of law school in 1999. At the end of that year, I dealt with some personal family stuff as well as grappling with the question of whether I wanted to even be a lawyer. Looking back on that time, I realize that my doubts about a legal career were largely exacerbated by my personal situation. However, I dropped out, and went back to work for five years. I beat myself for that five years for having dropped out, having not talked to anyone at the school to see if I could get help, and having acted rashly without looking at the root of concerm.

So, after five years of knowing that dropping out of law school had been the wrong choice, I reapplied to several law schools. And not only did I get into law school, but I was offered substantial scholarships at most of the schools I applied to (probably due to my work experience). I also used my personal statement to explain why I dropped out the first time and what I learned from the whole experience.

The only bad thing was that I was forced to repeat my first year. So if you do take some time off, don't take too much time in deciding whether or not you want to come back. But you're spending so much money on school, that I don't think taking some time off to decide if this is really right for you is a bad thing. And the fact that you have attended before will not necessarily keep you from getting accepted later (provided you give the schools a good reason for having left in the first time.)

When you returned, how old were you? Did you go full time or part time?  What did you do when you quit?

Sorry for the late reply - it's finals time ;-)

I was 32 when I returned to law school last year, 27 when I quit. I was and am full time. When I quit school, I was offered a position at my old company in radio advertising sales, and I did that for four years, and then did a year in the mortgage industry.

To the original poster -
I'm SO glad that you spoke with your school and found out the facts. Two years is a lot of time, and you never know what you'll learn about yourself during that time. Like me, you could find out that law is your calling and it's where you belong. And for what it's worth, I'm glad for my mistakes - my law school experience would not have been as pleasant for me had I finished the first time as it is right now.

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 09:43:08 PM »
Quick update- I am leaving after finals this semester. I feel terrible though, because none of the friends I've made understand why I'm leaving, and I also feel like I'm letting some people down. I have to say I agree that leaving takes a lot more courage. For me law school was always the safe thing to do, since I can hold my own in an argument and am analytical by nature. Leaving is not safe, but I think I have to be honest with myself. In any case, good luck to everyone on finals!

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 10:38:10 AM »
WWSD?
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug/2017755

Wow, that's great advice. I know that if I were struggling with my career decision and I logged on to read advice I would be relieved to look at your website of law-related "funny" products.

Why don't you pay for an advertisment on the website instead of posting your link on unrelated threads? In case you didn't notice, THIS thread's topic is "I don't know if I want to be a lawyer anymore!", NOT "I want to buy some crap that says 'What would Scalia do?'"

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
WWSD?
http://www.cafepress.com/lawthug/2017755

Wow, that's great advice. I know that if I were struggling with my career decision and I logged on to read advice I would be relieved to look at your website of law-related "funny" products.

Why don't you pay for an advertisment on the website instead of posting your link on unrelated threads? In case you didn't notice, THIS thread's topic is "I don't know if I want to be a lawyer anymore!", NOT "I want to buy some crap that says 'What would Scalia do?'"

Ditto- What's with all the ads lately? I personally am less likely to buy a product someone is trying to force on me.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »
A link from audiocasefiles.com would seem appropriate now.