Law School Discussion

Fourth Year in Law School??

Fourth Year in Law School??
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
Considering the number of amazing courses you can take in law school, is it unheard of to take a fourth year to take additional classes?

Re: Fourth Year in Law School??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »
I imagine most people want to get out, pass the bar and start practicing.  I'm sure your school wouldn't mind collecting the extra cash if they have room in the classes, especially if it's a private school.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:22:13 PM »
why not just get  an llm. that way you can get the depth of knowledge you want and something to show for it.  ;)

TDJD84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »
If you really like it that much, you should consider doing a LL.M program

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »
I guess your right. The problem for me is that I will try for a LLM in England , so i loose a year of American law studies. So I might have to get another LLM again in America to make up for the lost course work.

lipper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:25:23 PM »
most, if not all schools require you graduate in 3 years. Although, if you do a joint-degree program, where u get a JD and an MSW/MPA/etc. then, you can stay for 4.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 12:24:34 AM »
Considering the number of amazing courses you can take in law school, is it unheard of to take a fourth year to take additional classes?

If you're not a part-time student, and you take another year of law school, I don't think the school would mind. Employers, I think, would be the ones who would take issue with that.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 01:11:15 AM »
Why would companies care?, I figure as long as you have the grades and reasonable expectations about salary they should not care. 

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »
most, if not all schools require you graduate in 3 years. Although, if you do a joint-degree program, where u get a JD and an MSW/MPA/etc. then, you can stay for 4.

You're wrong. Most schools require that you graduate within 5 years of begining your degree. However, most if not all schools only take 3 years to complete your degree. However,schools realize that sometimes crap happens and you can't finish in 3 years. Hence the 5 years to complete your degree. (and we're not even talking about part time students)

You're right about the joint degree program though.