Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3L Apathy  (Read 7567 times)

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
3L Apathy
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:08:49 AM »
I'm a 2L but would like some input.  I was talking to a 3L yesterday (we were selling t-shirts for her club) and I asked her about her job search, where she planned to live, etc.  I wasn't specific, because I know these questions probably bug 3Ls.  Just trying to start conversation.

She tells me, "I don't really care about finding a job.  I'd much rather just be sitting here.  I'm really not concerned."  Not concerned?  What the heck?  I was startled.  I didn't get the impression she had some rich lawyer family or anything.  She even said she was tired in her old job of making "other people rich." 

Next year I'll be hustling to figure out my career, not saying how I'd rather be selling t-shirts for a club that won't even remember her come graduation. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 3L Apathy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
You shouldn't be "hustling" to figure out your career next year; you should be "hustling" NOW as a 2L, and try to get as much figured out as soon as possible. 

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:31:24 PM »
noname, i have some advice for you:

"Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f-ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of f-ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the @#!* you are on Sunday night. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f-ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, screwed up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?"

-irvine welsh

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:50:06 AM »
That's EXACTLY what I would have done.

Not because I don't care and am not looking, but because I haven't found anything.  I don't know which school you attend, but around my school, not having a job is embarassing.  Acting like I don't care is a cover.  I'm constantly asked, "Where are you working?" as if there is no doubt that I know.  It frustrating, upsetting, annoying, and depressing.  I try to explain it to my boyfriend, but it's something you just can't understand unless you experience it.  He says, "What's embarrassing about not having a job yet?  You're still in school."  It's like admitting you have a major defect: you are stupid or have a personality disorder.  That must be why you can't find a job.

Just realize this might be a really sensitve subject.

As for conversation starters, next time ask what her plans are for the weekend.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
Very true. I'm a 3L and have a job, but it's sensitive, more than grades, more than law review, more than anything. Don't ask, it's really rude at this point. You should've asked last fall when the pressure wasn't so great.

Here, I'll tell you a story that happened to me last night. I asked a 3L I knew what he planned to do after graduation. He can answer it many ways and he never has to admit not having a job. He does have a job and told me about it, but he never asked me if I had one - he knows it's sensitive. Actually, only because I'm a 3L and knew him could I get away with even asking that much and I probably pushed the line. In fact, if I wasn't pretty sure his connections had landed him a job, I wouldn't have asked it.