Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opening your own law firm?  (Read 7638 times)

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
Opening your own law firm?
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
Has anyone thought about doing this right out of law school?  I'm thinking about it.   

I have a friend from school and we both want to move to the same area and take the risk.  This board seems filed with people who want to go the traditional route, but I was wondering if anyone every thinks/plans on doing something different. 

thegreat

• View Profile
Re: Opening your own law firm?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:20:07 PM »
Starting your own firm is a function of capital, opportunity and market conditions. Working for a big firm does give you some experience, capital, contacts and a good brand on your resume. Here is a decent book I read of someone that started his own firm: "Why Should White Guys Have All the Fun: How Reginald Lewis Created a Billion-Dollar Business Empire" It's on Amazon. 

brabdau

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Opening your own law firm?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
What type of firm?

My partner and I are planning on starting our own criminal firm right after law school.  We both work for one of the largest criminal firms in the nation.  Between the two of us we have worked at this firm for almost 10 years.  We are lucky in that we know the criminal system in our state very well.  We believe we have the perfect scenario to be successful given our situation.  I say, go for it if you have the experience to hit the ground running.