Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: QUICK decision = Good or Bad?  (Read 4209 times)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
QUICK decision = Good or Bad?
« on: November 16, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »
Ok kids...

I applied for spring transfer to Florida State. My app got there Oct 31, everything else trickled in. Last week (Nov 9 Thursday afternoon, about 4pm) I called them and asked my status. They pulled the file, saw everything was in so she said she would pull it out and send it to comittee 'next week' (they were closed Friday Nov 10 for Veteran's Day).
So in theory it went to committee on Mon or Tuesday, realistically, right?

So today I call them (Nov 16, Thursday) to ask status since the status checker was showing I was still missing 2 letters of rec (even though I KNEW they had them.. I just wanted an excuse to call them). So she pulls my file, says they have them, it was a mistake and oh by the way, I went to decision. Letter was mailed out today. Of course, no hints on the phone as to what that decision was...

So my question is... with SUCH a FAST turnaround, is that generally a good thing or a bad thing? COnsidering spring transfer season, rolling admissions, complete deadline is Dec 1st, etc.

Also, do they ever email the decision or is it entirely by mail? (my mail man is not very reliable.. just today I got the viewbook in the mail...postmarked Nov 7th!)

Anyway, anyone care to humour me while I obsess until the letter gets here?

Thanks
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: QUICK decision = Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »
what is your current ranking? What school (or ranking level) are you coming from?  I don't think any info can be inferred from how quickly they turned it around.  I can tell you its ENTIRELY based on the numbers.

Hope it works out for you.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »
Top 1% from a craptastic T4 (same state) with Moot Court, 3.6? GPA ( rank is only done after spring and fall semesters (good thing for me and my not as strong summer semester!). I was a spring admit in Jan.

ETA: Also had 2 book awards, am a TA, Deans Scholar...

ETA again... uber craptastic UGPA (from 11 years ago), 154 LSAT
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:19:59 PM »
you should be fine.  Those numbers are very very competitive for transfers.  The only thing that makes me hesitate to say you're a shoe-in is the spring, which I hear is harder.  Doesn't FSU have an online status thing--does that not say if you're accepted?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »
They do have an online checker, but it doesn't say more than if your stuff is there or not... not like GULC that tells you complete, decision, etc.

*sigh* now I just have to wait for my craptastic mailman

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:49:14 PM »
shouldn't be more than a day or two; didn't you say you're in Florida?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »
Yeah... in Florida... depending on what time it went out and whether my mailmam chose this month to resume his regular crack habit and stop delivering my mail just for shits and giggles.

:)

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:47 AM »
My decision went quick and I got in. Your stats look fine, don't worry about it! But my new school actually called me when the decision was made last Thursday. I didn't get the letter until this week. I had spoken with the admissions coordinator in October and asked her if she could give me a call. She's a sweetheart!

Good luck and stop glaring at the poor mailbox! After class go see a movie or something to get your mind off of everything. I know, good advise - impossible to follow! Good luck...

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 02:18:52 PM »
Got my package today... I got in!

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »
Congrats... on to bigger and better things!