Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfering Questions  (Read 2295 times)

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfering Questions
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »
1) How does your ranking work once your transfer?  If you had a 3.6 at your old school, what happens when you transfer to a new school?  Will you still be able to transfer with honors, join order of the coif, etc
2) Is it worth it to transfer from a pretty good tier 2 school with a full ride, to a T-14?  Is it still possible to get a big firm job at a great firm coming from a T2
3)How do firms view people who transfered into a better school.  Do they veiw them less favorably than one who entehred the school from the start of their law school career?  Thanks ;D

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:26:01 PM »
1) wipes clean; only get the credits; GPA starts over
2) I think it depends.  If you're at a pretty good T2 in an area where you want to practice, and if your T2 has a pretty good career services, then I think you should consider staying.  Of course, this depends very heavily on what you intend to do.  Judicial Clerkship and other prestigious aspirations would almost require that you transfer up.  However, if you want to work at a firm in your current city, then it may be better to stay with your huge GPA.
3)At my new school, firms treat transfers exactly the same.  This is quite astounding and I wouldn't be suprised if this is different elsewhere.  I was Top 18% at my T4 school and without my new school's ranking I am on EXACT equal footing as someone who achieved Top 18% here.  But again, it seems like I'm just really fortunate.

As far as employers looking down on the transfer itself, I think that's nothing to worry about.  I cannot percieve that a recruiter would care about that, after all recruiters are bigger prestige whores than posters on this board.  They may question you as to why you did it, but I don't think that it would hurt you.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »
1) You lose your rank, but when you do OCI you show the interviewers the transcript from your old school.  Some schools let you graduate with honors, etc.  others don't.

2) It depends on what you want to do.  If you'd like to take a public interest or public sector job that pays poorly, you'd be better off staying put.  If you want to work for a big firm that has a more prestige-driven hiring process, you'd be better off leaving.

3) At OCI firms generally viewed transfers in a positive light.  I went from a T2 (Case Western) to a T14, and had no problems getting the job I wanted.  Neither did any of the other transfers.  We did at least as well (if not better) than the "natives" at OCI.