Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ave Maria  (Read 1282 times)

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
Ave Maria
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:03:11 PM »
So I'm at Ave Maria right now. Some people are very negative about the school, but here and at school. Should I think about transferring, or stay here (I am happy with the small law school atmosphere). I am doing pretty well in my classes and did good on the practice exam, but I obviously don't have any REAL grades yet.

What should I be doing if I am planning on transferring?

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
Re: Ave Maria
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:31:40 PM »
My roommate trasferred from Ave this year. He was also concerned about the school, especially the possible move to florida and the faculty's dislike for the dean. You can't do much until you have final grades for your first year. You can look into what schools you might be interested in. Also, get in good with some professors so you can get recommendations from them. Work hard to get good grades. My roommate had very good grades, but there is another Ave student who was under a 3.5, I think. We're now at Notre Dame.

Are second year students getting offers for summer employment? What firms does Ave bring to campus. My roommate said this year only Butzel Long intreviewed there. Also, Butzel is the only firm listed on nalp for Ave. You should ask 2Ls if they are gettin work for this summer. My roommate's friends, for the most part, are not, but of course he doesn't know everyone.

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
well, a graduate just got a job with Arrent Fox in DC, and apparently this is a good firm? I'm thinking maybe GULC, ND, or a school like that. But I don't know. I do like the small school atmosphere and the mission and such, i just don't want to be stuck if something bad happens with the accredidation with the FL thing. (although they apparently might not be moving, and are rumored to be moving to tier 2 this year).

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:43:34 PM »
My roommate was told the same thing about tier two for the last two years. I don't think it's going to happen. New schools can't move up in the rankings this fast due to criteria that USNWR use for their ranking system. Plus, there are virtually no extablished alumni of the school, the faculty is very distrusting of the dean and Tom M., and the possible move to Florida will change the school's structure and the accreditation may be lost. When faculty attempt to vote a dean out of a law school, USNWR is not going to bump a school above other well established schools in the state.

Focus on where 2ls are getting summer jobs. This is what matters, especially if you want to work at a law firm. Law firmss hire almost exclusively through their OCI programs. Ask them in the hallways at school. Also ask professors what they think.