Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for law students at Top 50 schools  (Read 2243 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for law students at Top 50 schools
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:37:37 PM »
Is it me or does this notion of a grading curve seem ridiculous? If you have a student body of magna and summa cum laudes with high test scores why bother with a curve, why not just have a grading scale. Also, what makes one student perform better over the other in law school all things being equal. Limme rephrase that. What makes 2 students with 3.7 gpas and 166 lsats perform differently in law school. Why would there ever be a disparity in performance given the previous UG stats

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Question for law students at Top 50 schools
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:10:20 PM »
Also, what makes one student perform better over the other in law school all things being equal. Limme rephrase that. What makes 2 students with 3.7 gpas and 166 lsats perform differently in law school. Why would there ever be a disparity in performance given the previous UG stats

Your question seems to assume that factors like undergraduate GPA and LSAT are perfect predictors of performance in law school.  They're not; not even close.  They may be, overall, pretty good proxies, but they are far from perfect.  And remember that there are a host of other important factors (like work ethic, writing ability, etc.) which these proxies can only capture in a highly imperfect way, if they are captured at all.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »
It is all about the firms.  It is a system that is not completely arbitrary so they can easily narrow the interviews to people able and willing to rise to the occassion of high pressure firm life.  At least that is the impression I have received(which is qualified in absolutely no way).
yeehaw Dallas

courselines

• View Profile
    • CourseLines.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:19:24 AM »
If they went by correct answers then everybody would get A's and B's. They have to do competition in a subjective test.
Download free outlines at http://www.courselines.com

beegees

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 07:14:36 AM »
marcusbarnes30 is not a law student at a top 50. Otherwise he/she would know how insignificant GPA/LSAT are in LS.

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:59:11 AM »
marcusbarnes30 is not a law student at a top 50. Otherwise he/she would know how insignificant GPA/LSAT are in LS.

You are correct sir or maam, butI have never claimed to be. I was merely asking this question as an outsider.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
I'm at a t20 and competition is murderous. I know a girl who got 98/100 questions correct on her mult. choice torts exam and still only managed an A- on a B+ curve. I think it's a little bit luck, when it comes to mult. choice, and whole lot about who has the best study plan that they can stick to throughout the year.

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »
I'm at a t20 and competition is murderous. I know a girl who got 98/100 questions correct on her mult. choice torts exam and still only managed an A- on a B+ curve. I think it's a little bit luck, when it comes to mult. choice, and whole lot about who has the best study plan that they can stick to throughout the year.

sheesh!!!!

courselines

• View Profile
    • CourseLines.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 01:46:52 PM »
Grades are important, but go get yourself published. In the eyes of profs that is the only thing that matters. Set yourself up outside of the curve if your having trouble.
Download free outlines at http://www.courselines.com

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:08:38 PM »

The really shocking thing is that someone got to take a multiple choice exam!!!! ;D