Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting versus Sticking It Out?  (Read 2906 times)

OneLdcgal

• View Profile
Visiting versus Sticking It Out?
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »
Does anyone have basic information about being a visiting student?  I'm a 2L now (at a T1) and not thrilled with my LS (and the cost of rent) and I'd like to practice after graduation closer to my family. (I've had a bunch of interviews but no offers yet.)  There's a T4 near my parents, but there's little info on their website about it.  I'm just curious.... Do I still graduate with a degee from my original school?  As a 3L would I pay tuition to the new school?  Is wanting to save in rent a dumb reason for wanting to visit at the other school???  Thanks for any help!

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting versus Sticking It Out?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »
As a visiting student, you would graduate from your current school.  You would pay the tuition of the school that you are visiting.  Paying rent seems like a reason too trivial to be considered, but practicing in the other area may be a great reason to visit. 

The only problem that I forsee is whether this T4 has any decent OCI/recruiting/career services.  I spent my first year at a T4 and career services was terrible.  My old school had about 5 firms at OCI; my new school (t1) has nearly 150.

Good luck to you!

pinkytrc

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pinkytrc
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers- drop by, leave a comment!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:09:34 AM »
You can visit for an entire semester's worth of classes?!  I thought it was only 1 class at a time?  That sounds really helpful!
Brad Pitt Pic-Sorry guys, your welcome girls!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pinkytrc

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 02:00:26 AM »
Does anybody know how demanding schools are in allowing students to visit? Can you just have a good reason to do it, or is it more similar to transferring qualifications?

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 10:23:28 PM »
From what I hear, they are not interested in your credentials, because you are getting your degree from a bottom feeding school. I am thinking about visiting because it allows you to make connections you normally couldn't. At my small rural school the only really job oppurtunity for average students is to become an associate for a solo practioner for teacher's salaries (30-40 k), though more students at my school have been getting better jobs, UW attorneys are still one of the worse paid in the country and still make about 30% less than the average graduate, as opposed to the ives grads that make like 125% more.