Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD student seeking to work this summer at a British firm  (Read 8519 times)

easthall

• View Profile
JD student seeking to work this summer at a British firm
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »
It seems to me that most British firms have "vacation schemes" (four weeks) program where students from the commonwealth countries could participate in.    Do they not allow US JD students  to join the program?  Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks!

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JD student seeking to work this summer at a British firm
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
Although I have not gone through the program, I have a word of advice. Be certain that you want to practice in England for a long time. Once you practice over seas, it is difficult to come back to the states. In other words, you get stuck out there.
The reasons for this is that the law is different. So when you come back you have to re-learn US law. Luckily, UK law will be similar in several areas of law. Another reason is that no one will want to pay you the same amount as a third or fourth year associate when you have never even practiced a single year in the US. If you are beyond your fourth year, many firms will not hire you because, generally, you cannot bring your book of business over.

shao2007

• View Profile
Re: JD student seeking to work this summer at a British firm
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:27:54 PM »
It is very easy to get a non paying job abroad. You have to think about if you want the pay or the experience first.
If you want the pay it is much harder to find a job. If you just want the experience and to make contacts working in England won't be too hard, if you go through your schools OCI.