Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Assoc. help  (Read 2435 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Summer Assoc. help
« on: November 03, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
I'm in need of some help here. I'm a part-time 2L, top 10%, and highly involved at school. I'll be externing at the Fed. Dist. Ct in the spring but I have nothing planned for the summer. I am looking toward Big Law but I didn't apply for any summer assoc positions for this summer. At my school, I'm not eligable for OCI until my 3L because I'm a part-timer. What I didn't realize is that I could have just sent out apps to big law firms myself instead of depending on OCI. I just thought that I wasn't eligable to apply to the firms to begin with but after some research I realized I could.

Here's the dilemma...I'm really late in the game. Anyone know of any Big Law firms in Los Angeles, Orange County area that would still be looking for Summer Assoc positions? I checked NALP but I'm not really sure what their deadlines mean. I'd appreciate all the help I can get. I plan on going to career services on Monday but I figured I'd see what you all have to say until then.

P.S. I go to Southwestern Law School...I'm glad to be here but from what I've seen, getting a Big Firm job is difficult from here

thanks!
shine on

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Assoc. help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »
You probably won't get anything now, at least the sort of position you're looking for.  At this point, all the 2L summer associate positions are taken.  Even if they aren't, you are eligible for that sort of position, since the Firms take 2L SAs w/ the anticipation of having them come in a 1st year associates after graduation and the bar exam.

You should send your resume out now, though, and you'll be way ahead of the game since 1Ls looking for the sort of summer jobs that you are w/ firms can't even send a resume until December 1.  So you're still sort of ahead of the game in that respects.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
With your grades it would be a no-brainer to transfer out of Southwestern after you finish this second part-time year.  You may lose some units but it would be worth it to transfer to UCLA (big transfer classes accepted every year), USC, Hastings or Davis.
Then go through the official 2L OCI process next Fall. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 07:51:53 PM »
With your grades it would be a no-brainer to transfer out of Southwestern after you finish this second part-time year.  You may lose some units but it would be worth it to transfer to UCLA (big transfer classes accepted every year), USC, Hastings or Davis.
Then go through the official 2L OCI process next Fall. 

I agree. However, you should have went ahead and tried to transfer in the Spring. But, you've got a lot of options still for next year. If I were you I'd send out mailers to BigLaw ahead of the 1L's who can't apply until December 1st or they get thier grades.