Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Offer - 1 and a half months later  (Read 11040 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Job Offer - 1 and a half months later
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »
Initial interview - 9 weeks ago

Call back interview - 6 weeks ago.

Job 0ffer - today.

And we're talking about a national firm here too that is offering to make me rich next summer? Any ideas why they took so long? (not that I'm complaining now...) ;)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Job Offer - 1 and a half months later
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:59:41 PM »
A few people were offered the job before you but ended up declining the offer after giving it some thought.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:50:47 AM »
Thats actually not that bad. Bigger firms have a lot more decisions to make and alot more people to approve them.

l a l a l a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 12:46:34 AM »

Job 0ffer - today.

And we're talking about a national firm here too that is offering to make me rich next summer? Any ideas why they took so long? (not that I'm complaining now...) ;)

national firm my @ # ! * i n g ass?!

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 02:21:48 AM »

Job 0ffer - today.

it doesn't really matter. you have a job with what sounds like a great firm. worry more about polishing your research, writing and social skills so you can work toward that permanent position offer.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 11:00:11 PM »
don't worry about it.  some firms (like mine) prefer to interview all the candidates from a particular school before they decide who from that school gets an offer.  maybe you had some late callbacks from your school.  or maybe someone else declined.  whatever...doesn't matter.

and BTW...it only SEEMS like they're going to make you "rich."  it's not as much money as it seems at this point.  know what you're going to do with that money before you start, and stick to that plan.  it's a lot of money/week, but there aren't that many weeks, esp if (like i did) you have bills backing up before that first paycheck.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 04:52:21 PM »

Job 0ffer - today.

You were on a holding list and/or they take very few summers so they have to wait for some to decline before giving out more offers.  This looks more likely given that they called you a couple of days after a NALP deadline for dropping offers.

Did you accept?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 03:38:15 PM »

Job 0ffer - today.

You were on a holding list and/or they take very few summers so they have to wait for some to decline before giving out more offers.  This looks more likely given that they called you a couple of days after a NALP deadline for dropping offers.

Did you accept?

I took it, but I made them wait a week first. But no complaining from me. It's a good opportunity.

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 01:31:35 AM »
Congratulations!

The 6-week delay is meaningless.  Decision-making goes at all different speeds in law firms.

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:18:43 PM »
I got a similar wait before getting an offer. I was shocked (I thought I wasn't worth a ding email); turns out they switched hiring partners half way through due to pressing litigation.