Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing  (Read 4726 times)

register2006

• View Profile
Legal Writing
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:14:08 AM »
I just got my Legal Writing grade for our first assignment. A 'C'!!!!!!! What the @#!*?? Is Legal Writing a good indicator of what my grades will be overall? Needless to say, I am upset. ???

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Writing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:09:43 AM »
Well, legal writing *can* be an indicator of how you do overall, but it might not be.  I think for some people in my class, legal writing was their lowest grade, and they did much better in their other classes.

The only reason I think it has potential to be an indicator is that I feel like a lot of what you do in legal writing is applicable to essay exams.  You're writing about the law, formulating an argument, etc. etc.  But I guess it would depend on why your legal writing professor gave you a C.  But look on the bright side: writing memos and writing exams are not exactly the same, you have a few weeks to read through your memo, see where you could do better, and incorporate that advice while practicing for finals.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »
Legal writing class is a lot different than your other classes. A lot of people don't realize the time and work that needs to go into the assingments. Plus, its a whole new world of stuff, its a lot of get used to. Its your first assingment. Don't sweat it too much. See what you did wrong and make corrections. You'll be fine. Just take the time to see what you did wrong and learn from it.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

courselines

• View Profile
    • CourseLines.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:54:44 AM »
My first legal writing grade was a "D". I pulled it up to a "C" by the end of the semester. My professor said I had a lot of work to do to become a good writer. Under another professor I wrote two articles that are going to be published in law reviews.

Don't second guess yourself. You are a good writer, and legal writing grades mean little.
Download free outlines at http://www.courselines.com

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11:40 AM »
There could be something "wrong" with your professor...but I'll add this.  Writing an article for a law review and writing an excellent legal brief may NOT be the same thing.  There are lots of excellent academic writers that go in to law school who have an extremely difficult time adjusting to the style used in legal writing.  So maybe you're a good writer (as evidenced by getting something published in a LR), but had trouble coming at it from the practical side (which could be what your LW prof was looking for)

Just something to keep in mind; although it's entirely possible that your LW prof has a stick up his/her butt.

courselines

• View Profile
    • CourseLines.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »
Your right. I am trying to make the poster feel better- but yes, I suffer from usage errors.
Download free outlines at http://www.courselines.com

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 01:48:17 PM »
I felt the same way. I got my paper back and received a C+. There may be an obvious bias, but I think that the correlation between LR and other classes is small. It seems that LR papers rely heavily on form, whereas law school exams focus on substance. Yet, the form of a law school exam (IRAC, etc..) is very important, but I don't think most profs. will dock points for not correctly citing the rules you state in an answer (I hate that damn Blue Book). Both of these task require good analysis, but the exams don't require all the details that an LR paper involves.

I just got my Legal Writing grade for our first assignment. A 'C'!!!!!!! What the f**ck?? Is Legal Writing a good indicator of what my grades will be overall? Needless to say, I am upset. ???

llavoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:41:58 PM »
I actually got a good grade on my first Legal Writing assignment, but I spent so much time on the goddam thing that I (a) got behind in preparing for class and (b) now have to catch up for all the time I should have spent outlining. I've decided that the primary reason that we have to take legal writing our first year is NOT to learn to write, but because first year is a massive exercise in time management and legal writing is so time consuming.  >:(