Law School Discussion

How important is the name really?

Re: How important is the name really?
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2006, 08:00:48 PM »
well i guess then i'd be remiss by "spilling" that biglaw attorneys maintain higher divorce rates than our U.S. Navy Seals.

oops!

damn i'm just ruining it for everyone aren't i

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2006, 08:33:05 PM »
People always like to diss biglaw.  Too bad the criticism usually comes from those who have no biglaw work experience or are upset about getting dinged from screeners and callbacks.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2006, 08:40:28 PM »
People always like to diss biglaw.  Too bad the criticism usually comes from those who have no biglaw work experience or are upset about getting dinged from screeners and callbacks.

Guess I'll have to let you know how it is after next summer.  ;)

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

Cool we can compare notes. 

There are a number of things about biglaw that aren't enviable.  But I hate it when I hear people who couldn't get a job talk about how they "didn't want to work biglaw anyway."

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2006, 08:47:10 PM »
if by "dissing" you mean sharing some facts and statistics about the profession, then yes, i am dissing big law

but alas, like most who can, i will be there this summer and probably for a couple of years after graudation

i like to tell myself that i am victim of circumstance

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2006, 09:17:14 PM »
if by "dissing" you mean sharing some facts and statistics about the profession, then yes, i am dissing big law

but alas, like most who can, i will be there this summer and probably for a couple of years after graudation

i like to tell myself that i am victim of circumstance

Cool congrats.  From some of your posts, I was under the impression that you didn't get a biglaw summer offer.

Getting a biglaw firm to practically pay for your 3rd year isn't too bad  ;)

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »

Cool we can compare notes. 

There are a number of things about biglaw that aren't enviable.  But I hate it when I hear people who couldn't get a job talk about how they "didn't want to work biglaw anyway."

I understand what you're saying. However, I personally hate to hear from so many people that Biglaw is the end all be all of the legal market. Most of us won't even start at biglaw or if we do, we'll be out of there within a few years. Don't get me wrong, biglaw is a great way to get your 3rd year of lawschool financed and also a way to pay off student loans. However, after those loans are gone, a lot of peoples priorities change.

Oh well....back to not studying.

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 05:34:05 AM »

You're not going to know anything about Biglaw after a summer associateship ... You are, however, going to know what it feels like to have physical pain in your liver from drinking too much free expensive champagne, pain in your stomach from eating so much gourmet food from the fanciest restaurants in the city, and aggressive mental fatigue from choosing between events late in the summer when you have four a week and you can't physically make it to all of them.

Oh yeah, there's also the "pain" of trying to button up your old pants that you swear were a little roomy in April.

People diss biglaw for three reasons: (1) they're jealous; (2) it's really not for them, in which case they should keep their opinions to themselves (telling people not to go to biglaw just because you want to work at a boutique firm or in the government and go home at 3:30 on Fridays is like an aggressive vegetarian trying to convince everyone at a BBQ to eat a grilled mushroom -- keep your opinions to yourself) (2) they're proving that they have some kind of knowledge that relates to what you do.  It's exactly the same as when you first made your decision to go to law school and people were like 'oh wow ... good luck with that.'  You're alive (maybe not happy, but at least alive) aren't you?

I get this crap from people at my old law school, from my obnoxious cousins at Thanksgiving dinner, and from family friends who are lawyers.  The next person who calls the firm I'm working at a "sweatshop" or a "graveyard" is going to hear about it.  As long as you are proactive during the summer, seeking out first- and second-year associates (firms don't always give summers "access" to these young associates, that's a warning sign, too) and finding out how happy or miserable they really are, you'll never know.  There is some variation among the big firms, and although it's not like you really have a choice if you hate the firm you summer at after your second year, at least if you find out it's really terrible you'll be prepared enough to look for a good psychiatrist and get some Xanax before you even walk in the door for your first day.

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2006, 12:37:15 AM »
Well said...although I gotta say, once you get a second summer Biglaw position, you can leverage it pretty easily into a better position if you weren't completely happy with the firm you were at (as long as you got an offer).

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »
This thread is funny.  Some of the posters give the impression that you MUST go to a T1 to have a real chance in BIGLAW.
I go to a T4 and got 5 call backs and 4 offers.  I even worked at a BIG LAW firm my first summer (who asked me to come back).  Many of my classmates also had multiple offers.

Sooooo, don't be discouraged by the few on this thread who try to paint a grim picture about job perspectives at schools outside of the elite 20.  If you like your school don't transfer.

And by the way,  I was not in the top 10 of my class but I am on law review.

Good luck.