Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SUNY Buffalo  (Read 670 times)

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
SUNY Buffalo
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
i'm taking the LSAT in Feb '07 & plan on starting ls in fall '08.
i'm in the NYC area, where the yearly costs of ls is either equal to or more than my yearly salary.
so, i'm considering SUNY Buffalo. 
i need more information & opinions about the school in general & the buffalo area, since i might be better off moving to buffalo for ls, instead of staying in the NYC area & paying @ least 30k a yr.

i would appreciate any info that SUNY Buffalo law students can give me.
thanx

GwenK

• View Profile
Re: SUNY Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
I am not a current UB ls, but I will be going in '07. So, I thought I'd share perspective and research.

First, people will joke and tell you how horrible Buffalo is. The reality is that the winters are not as bad as people say and there is a TON of stuff to do. It is a good city, has a great nightlife and excellent food. Plus, the cost of living cannot be beat. (I grew up in Buffalo and have also moved around the US to larger cities - so I have a broad perspective.)

So, the ls stuff. It has a good ranking and is a T2 school. Because people do tend to move from Buffalo to bigger cities, there are also some decent opportunities in the Northeast to practice in more metropolitan areas (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) The school has a healthy competitive but collaborative environment. I visited the school last spring and was impressed by the professors and how positive the students were about the school. Once I visited the school, I knew it was the one for me. I would highly recommend visiting if you can.

Lastly, for NYS residents (or even outside of NY) you cannot beat the price of the school. Not only can you find an apartment for about $400/month (and I'm talking a nice apartment in a great area) you can go to school for three years for the cost of what it might be for one year at another school. Hope this helps.

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:20:37 PM »
thanks gwenk.
i'm surprised i recd a resp after all this time.

depending on how i score on the exam, i will def consider SUNY Buffalo along w/the other NY schools.  moving to Buffalo would be a HUGE step for me, but it may be worth it in the long run. 

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
You bet. FYI - UB is getting tougher and tougher to get into, so not only should you prep well for LSAT, but also have some great LORs. It also doesn't hurt to try to meet with the admissions Dean Wiley-Upshaw too. She's fantastic and is willing to meet with potential students. Last year, (when I was accepted) they had a record year of applicants and, from what I hear, only took a few people off the waitlist. So, competition to get in is heating up.