Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Feeling like quitting  (Read 2257 times)

jhb241

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Feeling like quitting
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 12:10:03 AM »
Well you aren't the only one that feels that way and sometimes I wonder if those feelings are much stronger at t4 schools like I attend. I almost dropped out after midterms and decided, hell I paid for it already I might as well tough it out until the end. I think I am definitely withdrawing at the end of the semester. Several people have told me to stick it out for at least a year and I contemplated that and decided that financially, with the way I am feeling about a law career in itself coupled with the crazy financial burden I might incur by just sticking around, in MY situation it will be best to try and cut my losses while I can. I must not be the only one at my school as I just looked and I think they have like almost a 30% attrition rate for the first year. I didn't realize it was that bad and it looks really bad compared to 1-3% at the state schools. I do think it is normal to feel like quitting as many of my friends feel like that on days, but when it doesn't go away, I think then you really have to step back and think about things. Just wanted to put this out there in case there are any lurkers in my shoes that might want to commiserate or can relate.

I would consider sticking it out for the year and then taking a leave of absense (or even take a leave of absense after this semester, if possible). You might as well give it more time considering you've already paid for it and have completed most of the semester. Also, would going part-time be an option? That way, perhaps ls could be something you would be doing on the side.

ChristineK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 12:19:10 AM »
Not likely, I am almost 100% sure now that this is not for me and only the first semester was paid for. The next would be me tapping into my nice cushion that I still have for now. I can't imagine wasting any more time at this school, that I KNOW really just wants the $$ from its students.

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 09:05:40 AM »
I'm doing a little better after the weekend (time to be away from school and reenergize). My scholarship is guaranteed for the year, so I'm going to stick it out. But if I lose the $, I am not sure I'll want to pay to be this miserable myself. I just don't know what else to do with my life. It doesn't mean that I want/need to be a lawyer, but I need some sort of post-grad/professional degree.

I just feel like I've wasted 3 years since undergrad trying to figure out what I want to do with my life (it changes all the time) and I need to stick something out. My school has a good reputation in the community for a T4 school, but the class sizes are huge (there's 280 1Ls this year) and there are 3 other law schools in my city. I don't understand how the legal market is not saturated or how it will not be saturated when I'm done with school. Again, not that I need to work as a lawyer, but I'm just not sure what else to do.

ChristineK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 10:32:21 AM »
Wow that all sounds very familiar....hopefully YOU will be able to stick it out for the rest of the year. I think there are some books that have other non-lawyering jobs available for those with a JD, I can't remember the names right now.

Can you believe that our school enrolled over 500 1L's this sememster. I think that was the first thing that really turned me off. So obvious that we are paying for the school makeover and new digs........lol

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »
You're going to school and just paying for "room and board." Even if you don't make a ton of money out of law school you'll be doing better than most, and hopefully finding your employment interesting. Give yourself more credit and keep going.