Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER possible transfer questions  (Read 3837 times)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yet ANOTHER possible transfer questions
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:04:35 PM »
I am currently in a T4 school. Ranked top 1% (at least until the end of the semester). High enough GPA that I shouldn't have any issues grading onto Law Review at the end of the semester  (i was a spring admit so don't have enough units to be eligible for LR until the end of this fall semester). I made the Moot Court team this summer. I am also a TA for legal writing and would be again next semester.

I am thinking about trying to transfer out (to Florida State) in spring (they indicate tehy do accept transfers in the spring). Am I crazy? I know I know.. T4 vs T1 should be a no brainer. I am just hoping I am not shooting myself in the foot by giving up Moot Court and my current class rank (and law review) by transfering out.

I just went through OCI and it sucked. We had very few firms, and while I did get callbacks at all three (top) firms I applied with, I didn't get any offers. I think my school name is a big hinderance. Oh, plus FSU is state tuition so financially MUCH better for me...

any thoughts? Overall and/or advice?

thanks in advance
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yet ANOTHER possible transfer questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »
No, I don't LOVE the region. Well, I do like it a lot, but I'm not married to it for the law school. I applied to where I am at because it was the only one in the area and we were here. But now that my husband has more flexibility, we can move, I am looking at FSU. How important is the personal statement? Will they even care after they see my grades?
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:38:27 PM »
No, I don't LOVE the region. Well, I do like it a lot, but I'm not married to it for the law school. I applied to where I am at because it was the only one in the area and we were here. But now that my husband has more flexibility, we can move, I am looking at FSU. How important is the personal statement? Will they even care after they see my grades?

FSU will not care at all. However if I were you, I'd apply to BU, and Georgetown, and any other place that takes spring transfers. If you're top 1 percent at a T4 you can get into those two schools. Don't settle for just FSU.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:55:43 PM »
My husband can swing just about anything with a transfer. He has the most options in DC though so GULC is great. Unfortunately they are private so cost is a factor, plus cost of living in DC (I used to live there). I would love to go to Georgetown though. Plus, their spring deadline is Nov 1, and they require LSDAS crap. FSU has a deadline of Nov 1 but has a completion deadline of Dec 1 with no LSDAS so I have a little bit of time to get the transcripts and whatnot in.
crap. I wish I thought about this earlier.

what should I do? (as I write my PS)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:13:37 PM »
another question.. do I even mention my husband's possible transfer as a reason why I want to be there? I can play it up or not mention it at all, as it is compltely flexible to us

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 10:38:51 PM »
I'd mention the possible transfer.  I don't know if I'd say he absolutely MUST transfer somewhere specific (might give the idea that the *only* reason you're applying to transfer is because of him).  But saying that you have ties to the area and/or your husband has an opportunity to transfer to the area would leave some flexibility there.  I would think that having personal reasons to transfer other than "your school is ranked higher than my school" would make you a better candidate.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 12:40:25 AM »
Has anyone transferred down in the rankings? I left the area where I grew up, my friends, and my boyfriend of three years to go to a T3 (it was top 100 when I was admitted, grrr) school four hours away. I would like to transfer to either a T3 or T4. I had applied to both of those schools earlier, but due to a number of factors, mainly cost of living and a desire to try a different area, I did not choose to go either place. My LSAT was good, and I had received scholarship offers from the two schools I am thinking about transferring to. What do you think about my chances of being accepted as a transfer student to one of those schools, assuming I have average (top half of class) grades at my current school?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »
I ended up not mentioning it (the husbands possible transfer) Instead I focused on my acheivments and why I wanted them instead... so we'll see what happens!

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:09:39 PM »
Thanks.
After talking to a professor today, whom I am close with, and who is writing a LOR for me for this, suggested I go wider, so after that (and seeing on here I had a shot) I applied at GULC as well. I am looking at a few more, possibly but we'll see.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I probably would have asked for fee waivers, but I was applying so late in the process (ie, the day before the deadline) my concern was just getting the *&^% into them NOW, even if it meant forking over $75 with my online app. Hell, I spent $14 just to overnight my app to FSU to get there in time!

I am sticking with FSU, GULC and Maryland.

If I get into FSU, things would be great. Cheap, cost of living is cheap, less complicated move. Hell, my husbands boss would pay for it (since they want him out there so badly). If I got GULC, I have no idea how I would afford it and living in DC, but that comes later. I couldn't turn it down..its GEORGETOWN. Not holding my breath though. I have the empirical numbers, but there are so many other factors.. like they ask for a diversity statement if you want (I didnt), and a bunch of other stuff. If they want to look beyond the numbers they can find a reason to reject me.
And Maryland because my husband can get a job at Ft Meade so *shrug*. We'll see what happens. I know one of my profs has already sent all three LOR and GULC has already requested my LSDAS report. Now if only it wasnt registration week at my school so I can cattle prod the registrars office to get my package sent out!!