Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Guaranteed "B" or Better?  (Read 2553 times)

lawst1L

• View Profile
Guaranteed "B" or Better?
« on: October 27, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »
Has anyone signed up for (or know someone who has signed up for) the Law Masters Series 1L review course? I saw good things in a posting on this board about their Pre-Law Bootcamp (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,62493.0.html) but haven't heard anything about their 1L law school review courses.  Their site says they guarantee a "B" or better in your course or money back!  Anybody heard anything about this?  ???

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Guaranteed "B" or Better?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
Pre-law school bootcamps are a crock, and I'd bet a "generalized" 1L review course won't be much better.  Once you get into school, you live and die by your professors.  Every professor teaches what they think is important, interesting, relevant, etc.  You learn all the same basic concepts as all other 1Ls, but beyond that, your professor may not teach certain smaller topics, may teach a slightly new take on smaller topics, and may prefer a certain policy line.

You'd be better off with supplements, and tailoring your studying to what your professor does instead of paying big bucks and wasting an entire weekend/day/whatever for a generic review course.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:52:11 PM »
Read "Planet Law School II" and follow the advice. The author rambles a bit but his advice is solid.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

lawst1L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:52:14 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that the 1L bootcamps are a "crock".  That being said, I didn't take one. However, the law school course version appears to not be "generalized".  There does appear to be a "generalized" element to it (they call them "On Demand Lectures").  However, you get live Q&A with the professors where you can apparently ask them anything about the subject area and a live finals review with the professors. So, you can cover material specific to your course. 

Appreciate the opinions so far, but was looking to hear from someone who is signed up for the course or has at least investigated it. ;D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 09:43:17 PM »
But you're missing my point.  You may get to ask the professor of the 1L Review course questions, but it's YOUR professor that matters.  You're better off going to office hours for clarification on stuff after reviewing your reading and class notes, asking questions, etc.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:08 PM »
Waste of time

The bootcamp that is, going to office hours is very valuable.

gator

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »
I took the law masters review and i must say that i felt really prepared for my exam.  i originally thought that these review courses were a crock, but i went ahead and gave it a try. i got a b+ on my midterm which is 25% of my torts grade. 
"God, who is love, what a great surprise it will be when those who sneer and preen and scowl at those of us who are clowns, finally see you face to face and find it has been a circus all along."

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dawn

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
This is so stupid.  Don't most schools have a B curve anyway?  So they promise you'll get an average grade or what?  They'll refund the money you gave them for their worthless materials?  This is as bad as those gambling hotlines that offer you a sure thing can't miss winner, or your money back.  Why not?  If you get lucky and win, they have your money and your confidence.  If you lose, they refund your money, but they've lost nothing. 

GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

robmelone

• View Profile
    • LawThug
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »