Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

So, how many hours a day will you be studying for the LSAT?

3 (30%)
 1 (10%)
 2 (20%)
4-6
 1 (10%)
8+
 0 (0%)
won't touch a book 'till September
 3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Number of Hours Devoted to Law School  (Read 2577 times)

4Lwonder

• View Profile
Re: Number of Hours Devoted to Law School
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
When I start this year (1L) I was doing like 7:30AM - 8:00PM with maybe a total of an hour off for lunch and dinner.  I was doing about 6-7 each weekend day.   

Yeah, my heart bleeds for you. You thought this was stressful? How about working a full time job 8-5, then attending classes at night 3-4 nights a week, eating a sandwich for dinner in class, not getting home til after 10 pm. Then spending 10-12 hours a day each weekend day studying. And studying at lunch on weekdays, and on public transportation to and from class. All while doing 2/3 the units of day students who do nothing but go to school, some of whom end up taking night classes after 1st year, so you are competing with people that have way more time on their hands. Some of us night students do actually work full time. And we are very easily irritated when day students with cush schedules complain about how stressed they are. Please.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
Yeah, my heart bleeds for you. You thought this was stressful? How about working a full time job 8-5, then attending classes at night 3-4 nights a week, eating a sandwich for dinner in class, not getting home til after 10 pm. Then spending 10-12 hours a day each weekend day studying. And studying at lunch on weekdays, and on public transportation to and from class. All while doing 2/3 the units of day students who do nothing but go to school, some of whom end up taking night classes after 1st year, so you are competing with people that have way more time on their hands. Some of us night students do actually work full time. And we are very easily irritated when day students with cush schedules complain about how stressed they are. Please.
We can play this game forever until we get to people getting limbs blown off in Iraq or starving in Africa.  Everyone has their own problems and everyone's own problems are more important to them than everyone else's.  If you're older, wiser, more experienced and overall better equipped to deal with the demands of law school, especially part-time law school, good for you.  That's no reason to discount how stressed other people are, or to rub it in their face.  And if you're sick of listening to full-time students complain about their schedules, then stop.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 11:48:47 PM »
Alright. Thanks everybody! Good luck on finals and have a great winter break.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 04:57:58 PM »
Prior to Finals: About 3 hours of class a day, 5 days a week + 4-6 hours/night M-TH + 6 hours or so on Saturday and Sunday

Finals: 12 hours/day

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »
Full-time 1L (14 credits)

Prior to finals:
3 hours of class a day, plus 2-6 hours of studying a day (6 hours when a blasted Legal Writing assignment is due, 2-4 hours is the more typical amount).
4-6 hours on Saturday (normally 4)
2-5 hours on Sunday (normally 3)

FINALS time
8 hours of pure studying for 2 days before my Contracts final
Now I'm dragging my butt to study for Torts...

I think I might be too much of a slacker for law school. But I do all of the readings and read supplements. I go to class. I have a better work ethic than I did in undergrad... I also know people who study A LOT less (and those who study a lot more).

I can't imagine studying any more than that, even if my grades are a complete disappointment. Sad, but true. I am lazy and finals are kicking my arse. :-[