Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Intellectual Property  (Read 406 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
Intellectual Property
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:27:56 PM »
I have an MBA in finance
and currently work as a project engineer for a development/construction company

is that techinical enough to pursue IP

up_late

• View Profile
Re: Intellectual Property
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »
It depends ...

To be an attorney who writes patent applications, you have to take the Patent Bar in addition to your state bar examination.  To sit for the Patent Bar, you have to have majored in certain subjects as an undergraduate, or you must have taken a lot of classes in certain subjects.  For specifics, see the "General Requirements Bulletin" at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb15nov05.pdf

You do not have to be eligible to sit for the Patent Bar to work on copyright, trademark, trade secret, or right of publicity cases.  You also do not need to sit for the Patent Bar to do patent litigation.

Some law firms hire only Patent-Bar-eligible attorneys for their IP practices.  Others are more flexible, but most still strongly prefer applicants with "technical" backgrounds.  I don't know enough about your background to judge how technical you are, and while I have seen a lot of interview solicitations from firms hiring for their IP practices and have known a number of students taking jobs in IP, I am only a 3L and honestly don't know enough to gauge your chances.  If there is any possible way you can discuss this with experienced IP attorneys, they are likely to be much more helpful.