Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: State Attorney General's office  (Read 6329 times)

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
State Attorney General's office
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »
So, what are some opinions on choosing between a firm and a state AG's office?  The firm pays much better, the AG's hours are a lot less.  I like both locations and both offices have 50 to 75 attorneys.

Also, does anybody know anything about getting hired permanently after being a summer clerk for an AG's office?  Is it common practice?  What do starting assitant AG's make?  I've been looking all over the internet and it's hard to find descriptions of working for AGs and/or salaries and whatnot.
Attending:  NOTRE DAME
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)
Rejected: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Harvard  (Their loss)
Waitlisted: GULC (preferred), Penn, Cornell

John Galt

• View Profile
Re: State Attorney General's office
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »
I worked at as state's AG's civil dept. and at a large firm. I found a firm to much more interesting. The AG was a little to laid back and kind of boring. The hours were nice though, I was out by 4:30pm pretty much everyday.

At the firm there was always alot going on, an it was much more exciting.

The AG was a state angeny so every job hadf to be posted beforte domeone was hired. Also, you couldn'e apply until you passed the bar, so you couldn't get an offer right after a summer clerkship. The did hire students on a hourly basis before they got their bar results, but it varies year by year depending on funding.

Salary for state AG was public record. I think it was 47K.