Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just Passing?  (Read 1771 times)

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
Just Passing?
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »
maybe its fear of exams, fear that i just dont get it, or fear that everyone else is smarter than me, but does anyone else worry not about making top 10% but just passing? 

I look around my classes and everyone is amazingly smart.  i'm really quite amazed.  i'm working harder than i ever have before but sometimes i worry whether or not i have any clue whats going on.

anyone else feel like this?

any advice?

tenth8sphere

Re: Just Passing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:12:16 PM »
What tier is your school? If you're at a tier 1, chances are you can't fail out if you wanted to. Tier 2 is also pretty difficult. If you're at a tier 4, then it might be a legitimate concern. It depends on your school.

Either way, all you can do is your best effort.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »
Everyone might exude the aura of being smart and capable while in class, but in reality many of those people are secretly dumbasses. You will see it once until people start circulating their sophmoric memoranda and briefs after grades come out. Then, you'll really see after the break when people start dropping out of school like flies.

If read your material, outline, complete as many hypos before finals as possible, and don't be a gunner feminine hygiene product in class, you'll be just fine.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
Everyone might exude the aura of being smart and capable while in class, but in reality many of those people are secretly dumbasses. You will see it once until people start circulating their sophmoric memoranda and briefs after grades come out. Then, you'll really see after the break when people start dropping out of school like flies.

If read your material, outline, complete as many hypos before finals as possible, and don't be a gunner feminine hygiene product in class, you'll be just fine.

I like it.

beegees

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:10:57 AM »
"don't be a gunner feminine hygiene product in class"

how does this relate to doing well or not?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »

It could be the difference between someone sharing an outline with you and someone setting fire to one of your books.  Or maybe it's a commentary on the prices people pay for success.

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »
if your school is like mine, they're playing a game of hide the ball with us.  This has not been a good faith effort to educate us at all. 

Teacher lectures conflict with the book sometimes. 
We are taught things after turning in assignments, then points are taken off. 
Grades given are artificially low.
About 6 weeks in, they sent us a letter stating that they would be failing more people at the end of the year due to a new policy
In short, it's a bs game

They make money by keeping us here, but they also must maintain as high a bar passage rate as possible.
Unfortunatley for us, there is a long line of people waiting to go to law school, so they can kick people out and still be profitable as long as they keep letting more people in than they actually expect to keep or want to keep.  Bastards.

My school only gives 4 or 5 people grades above 3.0.  I guess they think that we'd all transfer out, I know I would!
They just earned a provisional ABA accredation, so they're really sticking it to us.  I had big dreams of top 10%, and transferring up, now I just want to stay off academic probation, and make it out of here without a bad drug problem from the stress given to me by a bunch of unreasonable law profs.

beegees

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 02:52:20 AM »

It could be the difference between someone sharing an outline with you and someone setting fire to one of your books.  Or maybe it's a commentary on the prices people pay for success.

Why do students behave that way? I have no problem sharing my outlines etc.... with gunners. The psychopaths that burn books (and we do have those) don't realize the limits of competition. They will find any reason to bring down a student. They are the ones that end up giving lawyers a bad name.

linkin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »

Good advice. You've also have to have had a solid LSAT score as well.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Why do students behave that way? I have no problem sharing my outlines etc.... with gunners. The psychopaths that burn books (and we do have those) don't realize the limits of competition. They will find any reason to bring down a student. They are the ones that end up giving lawyers a bad name.
Because they've bought into an idea that the only job worth having is the one that pays a lot and has a lot of prestige attached to it.  Your ability to get these jobs is largely based on grades.  It's very likely that anyone in law school puts more than an average amount of emphasis on grades in determining self-worth.  Some healthy, some not.  Put it all together and throw in the random rumor about almost every teacher that they grade really tough, and the random story about the kid with a 3.8 who didn't get such and such job because he need a 3.9, and you get some psychos.