Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Having a very hard time with property esp. future interest etc  (Read 2073 times)

lwoods

• View Profile
Having a very hard time with property esp. future interest etc
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time with property, especially future interests. My property teacher told us he tests extensively on future interests on the final. Can anyone recommend a very helpful supplement for property, which contains practice problems, explanations, summaries etc. I was looking at the E&E's for property - are they any good for that class?

Thanks! :)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Having a very hard time with property esp. future interest etc
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »
I reccomend Gilbert's

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
If you signed up early for bar/bri, they have a review course that I found pretty helpful. I used Emmanuels as well. I hated future interests also. It is an arcane practice that should be abolished, and everything passed down in fee simple absolute.  

JD07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:59:19 PM »
Get this:
Estates in Land and Future Interests: Problems and Answers (Problems and Answers Series)by John Makdisi.

Excellent book with tons of problems. Amazon.com has it.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:17:15 PM »
Wikipedia has a great summary on future interests, which is useful to get an overview of the different types.  Also, there are future interest flashcards on half.com.  Just memorize the language used in each scenario. 
3.7ish, 170+

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
Use a series with multiple examples and answers. You can only master future interests through practice.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »
My Property professor recommended Peter T. Wendel, A Possessory Estates and Future Interests Primer (2d ed. 2005).  It was extremely helpful to me.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »
Yet another option for you....

My prof recommended:
"A student's guide to estates in land and future interests" (published by Lexis).

It's not the best looking suppliment out there, but the contents are really good, I found it very helpful. The key to doing well on the future interest stuff is practice practice practice. Find all the practice problems you can, from where ever you can. Good luck!

AlFitz614

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
My Property professor recommended Peter T. Wendel, A Possessory Estates and Future Interests Primer (2d ed. 2005).  It was extremely helpful to me.

That's what we used, and I also found it really helpful. It has a ton of practice problems, with the answers in the back, and also good explanations.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:25:39 PM »
I'm going to jump on the Wendel bandwagon. I'm currently using that and I have to say I actually ENJOY possessory estates. That book makes it fun to do. That book dumbs it down for you. The guy repeats things a million times that if you come out not understanding that stuff, then there's something wrong. Seriously get that book. It has practice problems and chart recaps at the end of the chapters. It's sooooooo good.