Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: At the end of the day its all about securing a job  (Read 1854 times)

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
At the end of the day its all about securing a job
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:35:34 PM »
I already know based on my stats I am destined to go to a tier 1 (top15-50) school
What i really want input on is a worse case scenario.
i already possess and mba and 4 years work experience
if place dead center of my class upon graduation will my mba an experience make up for my completely unimpressive performance as a jd

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Job Outlook Reality
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 09:39:34 PM »
i dunno it's really tough out there

i'm top 3rd + journal at a t20 and want to do patent law (as i have the requisite technical background) and i can't seem to find a job to save myself

the whole experience has been pretty frustrating - if i were you i'd plan on finishign top 5% and being law review notes editor, etc. ;)

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: At the end of the day its all about securing a job
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »

Well, ok here it is.  Worst case scenario is you wake up one morning and realize that Canada has successfully invaded and is currently occupying whatever city you currently reside in.  The embarrassment of allowing Canada to do this to your city should be devastating enough, but then you look over and see your dog is no longer breathing.  After gathering yourself, you go to the mailbox to check on the status of your applications.  FINALLY A RESPONSE... Thousands of letters sent out have finally produced a result.  The city of xxx is interested in interviewing you for a non-paid public defender position.  YES!!!

As you are dressing yourself for the interview, you realize that prior to passing away, your dog has eaten one of each color sock and shoe and left you with only a bow-tie.  You show up to the interview, discheveled appearance and bow-tie aside, you feel confident.  The job is yours to lose.  You scan the competition in the waiting room.  OK, a crafty vietnam war veteran turned hobo, a monkey, and Peter Gabriel are present.  Sure, Peter Gabriel may have a leg up on you... seeing as how he created the greatest song ever (Sledgehammer), but his work has been worsening as of late.  The others seeminly pose no threat. 

Now you are in the interview.  the first 15 minutes are flawless.  You nail the first 2 questions: 1. Are you alive - Your Response: Yes.  2.  Can you read real good-like?  Your Response: Yes.   This is going great, you think to yourself.  And then it happens...  You forgot that you had a glass of milk last night and are lactose intolerent.  You just Sh&t your pants.  Can I play it off?  Sure, you can blame the barking spider infestation that was recently reported.  How do I account for the smell?  Because you are quick like a rabbit, you come up with the perfect plan.  Deny, Deny, Deny.  "Does it smell funny in here?" You: "No not really."  Interviewer:  "I swear it smells like someone just Sh&t their pants."  You: "Well, the monkey had been flinging Sh&t all over the place outside and Peter Gabriel mentioned that he hadn't showered in a week." 

You did it!  You successfully deflected the accident and impeached your competition in the process.  The rest of the interview goes well.  You leave under the impression that you are king of the world.  A week later you get the call.  "We are sorry to inform you that the Crafty Vietnam War Vet Turned Hobo got the job."  HOW CAN THIS BE??  OMG, I forgot to put some of the blame on the crafty war veteran!!!  He had been hiding in a self-made fox hole he dug just for that occasion. 

Well, you now realize that even the public defender doesn't want you for an unpaid position.  THis, my friend is the worst case scenario.  I hope this helps.   
pudding is delightful

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »

Well, ok here it is.  Worst case scenario is you wake up one morning and realize that Canada has successfully invaded and is currently occupying whatever city you currently reside in.  The embarrassment of allowing Canada to do this to your city should be devastating enough, but then you look over and see your dog is no longer breathing.  After gathering yourself, you go to the mailbox to check on the status of your applications.  FINALLY A RESPONSE... Thousands of letters sent out have finally produced a result.  The city of xxx is interested in interviewing you for a non-paid public defender position.  YES!!!

As you are dressing yourself for the interview, you realize that prior to passing away, your dog has eaten one of each color sock and shoe and left you with only a bow-tie.  You show up to the interview, discheveled appearance and bow-tie aside, you feel confident.  The job is yours to lose.  You scan the competition in the waiting room.  OK, a crafty vietnam war veteran turned hobo, a monkey, and Peter Gabriel are present.  Sure, Peter Gabriel may have a leg up on you... seeing as how he created the greatest song ever (Sledgehammer), but his work has been worsening as of late.  The others seeminly pose no threat. 

Now you are in the interview.  the first 15 minutes are flawless.  You nail the first 2 questions: 1. Are you alive - Your Response: Yes.  2.  Can you read real good-like?  Your Response: Yes.   This is going great, you think to yourself.  And then it happens...  You forgot that you had a glass of milk last night and are lactose intolerent.  You just Sh&t your pants.  Can I play it off?  Sure, you can blame the barking spider infestation that was recently reported.  How do I account for the smell?  Because you are quick like a rabbit, you come up with the perfect plan.  Deny, Deny, Deny.  "Does it smell funny in here?" You: "No not really."  Interviewer:  "I swear it smells like someone just Sh&t their pants."  You: "Well, the monkey had been flinging Sh&t all over the place outside and Peter Gabriel mentioned that he hadn't showered in a week." 

You did it!  You successfully deflected the accident and impeached your competition in the process.  The rest of the interview goes well.  You leave under the impression that you are king of the world.  A week later you get the call.  "We are sorry to inform you that the Crafty Vietnam War Vet Turned Hobo got the job."  HOW CAN THIS BE??  OMG, I forgot to put some of the blame on the crafty war veteran!!!  He had been hiding in a self-made fox hole he dug just for that occasion. 

Well, you now realize that even the public defender doesn't want you for an unpaid position.  THis, my friend is the worst case scenario.  I hope this helps.  

Best post ever.
yeehaw Dallas

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
It's all about the networking.

I go to a t20, have and will have pretty poor grades, but have never gone without having a paid summer associate position, even during the Christmas break of 1L. Every single job has come from attorneys I've met through school functions, friends of the family, and even out at bars. I barely even know where our career development office is located. Put yourself out there in the legal community as much as you can, go to every legal function you hear about and talk to everybody there who has a job that appeals to you, and you have nothing to worry about.   

marcusbarnes30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »

Now you are in the interview.  the first 15 minutes are flawless.  You nail the first 2 questions: 1. Are you alive - Your Response: Yes.  2.  Can you read real good-like?  Your Response: Yes.   This is going great, you think to yourself.  And then it happens...  You forgot that you had a glass of milk last night and are lactose intolerent.  You just Sh&t your pants.  Can I play it off?  Sure, you can blame the barking spider infestation that was recently reported.  How do I account for the smell?  Because you are quick like a rabbit, you come up with the perfect plan.  Deny, Deny, Deny.  "Does it smell funny in here?" You: "No not really."  Interviewer:  "I swear it smells like someone just Sh&t their pants."  You: "Well, the monkey had been flinging Sh&t all over the place outside and Peter Gabriel mentioned that he hadn't showered in a week." 

For offering absolutely know helpful advice, this might be the best damn post i ever read

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 10:42:28 PM »
With regards to OCI, it might be a tie breaker but that's it. You have to clear the class rank and law review/moot court hurdles before they really think about anything else.

But as the other poster alluded to, most people outside of the T14 don't get jobs through OCI so at that point it's how well you can network and sell yourself.

I already know based on my stats I am destined to go to a tier 1 (top15-50) school
if place dead center of my class upon graduation will my mba an experience make up for my completely unimpressive performance as a jd

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:02 PM »

Now you are in the interview.  the first 15 minutes are flawless.  You nail the first 2 questions: 1. Are you alive - Your Response: Yes.  2.  Can you read real good-like?  Your Response: Yes.   This is going great, you think to yourself.  And then it happens...  You forgot that you had a glass of milk last night and are lactose intolerent.  You just Sh&t your pants.  Can I play it off?  Sure, you can blame the barking spider infestation that was recently reported.  How do I account for the smell?  Because you are quick like a rabbit, you come up with the perfect plan.  Deny, Deny, Deny.  "Does it smell funny in here?" You: "No not really."  Interviewer:  "I swear it smells like someone just Sh&t their pants."  You: "Well, the monkey had been flinging Sh&t all over the place outside and Peter Gabriel mentioned that he hadn't showered in a week." 

For offering absolutely know helpful advice, this might be the best d**mn post i ever read

While I couldn't agree more with the ultimate conclusion, I couldn't help but notice the flaw in your reasoning to reach that conclusion.
pudding is delightful

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 11:43:11 PM »
if i had more time i'd pick up the torch and run with this one... this is comedy brewha

instead i am lame - someone else do it!

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »

The Legal Profession is one in which you can't really place "dead center" and expect to do well. You really have to be at the top of something, be it your respective class, the USNews rankings, whatever. 

I have a friend thinking about going to law school and the best advice that I can give him is that if you're going to go, you have to go into it with the mindset of taking no prisoners.  I have several close friend who graduated from Tier 1 law schools, did so-so in their class and still have difficulty finding a job.  They're pretty much relegated to clerking for a year and hoping to make the big jump, and even then, some of the ones who clerked still can't get Biglaw jobs. And these are Tier 1 law schools we're talking about.

My friends at the T14, however, are sitting pretty nice.  Actually, they're throwing away jobs. Literally.

Furthermore, with the exeption of tax or patents, your previous life before law school is to a large extent irrelevant.  In other words, your performance in law school is unfortunately paramount to all the many achievements you may have accumlated before law school.  :P

Burning Sands