Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 10% and all that good stuff...  (Read 1230 times)

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Top 10% and all that good stuff...
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »
I go to a third tier school on a full scholarship. I knew that any law school, regardless of tier or rank, would be difficult.  However, I'm surprised at the caliber of students at my school.  They are a very intelligent group...and I'm assuming a lot of them came to the third tier school due to scholarships, rather than limited acceptances.  Anyways, I'm working my a$$ off but hard work (as with anything else in life) doesn't always translate into great results. 

I desperately want to make it into the top 10% of my class for two reasons: A top position in my class would certainly help when it comes to career options, and also for the purposes of possibly transferring to a higher ranked school.

Dumb question: How hard is it to make it into the top 10%? Any tips or advice? Any 2Ls out there who have successfully done this?

BTW...my school grades on a C curve.   

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10% and all that good stuff...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »
You are going to need to get better grades than 90% of your classmates.

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 07:12:25 PM »
You are going to need to get better grades than 90% of your classmates.

Lol...yes I realized that. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »
There's really no other answer.  You can write a great exam answer, but you still may not be relatively good enough to be in the top 10%.  Further, what might help one person get good grade may not help you. The most general advice I think I can offer is to make sure you're diligent about doing your work and not falling behind, make good outlines using past years' outlines as a guide or reference, do as many practice exams as possible, and try to have your professor critique at least one so you can get some direction as to what they'd like to see you do better.

And I don't understand why you'd be surprised at the caliber of students at your school.  That's pretty insulting to them, as I'm sure you don't appreciate people thinking you're any less intelligent or competent just because you go to a T3 school.

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 02:13:36 AM »
There's really no other answer.  You can write a great exam answer, but you still may not be relatively good enough to be in the top 10%.  Further, what might help one person get good grade may not help you. The most general advice I think I can offer is to make sure you're diligent about doing your work and not falling behind, make good outlines using past years' outlines as a guide or reference, do as many practice exams as possible, and try to have your professor critique at least one so you can get some direction as to what they'd like to see you do better.

And I don't understand why you'd be surprised at the caliber of students at your school.  That's pretty insulting to them, as I'm sure you don't appreciate people thinking you're any less intelligent or competent just because you go to a T3 school.

Thanks for your response.  I think I should have elaborated a little bit in my OP.  My surprise wasn't based on the fact that there were such intelligent students at a T3 school.  Rather, my perceptions of the school and the caliber of students was based on information I had received from 3Ls and recent graduates (prior to enrolling), who painted a picture of a student body that was not as dedicated or diligent as the one that entered this year.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »

I desperately want to make it into the top 10% of my class for two reasons: A top position in my class would certainly help when it comes to career options, and also for the purposes of possibly transferring to a higher ranked school.

A novel goal indeed!!!  And your reasoning is flawless!!  My advice is to merely print out your post and show your classmates how much thought you've put into this subject.  Surely NONE of them have even considered placing in the top 10%... and even if they had, I'm positive it had nothing to do with job prospects or transfer options. 

Plead your case to your classmates.  "I desparately want to make it into the top 10%."  You had me at "I..."  and I am one tough cookie.  There is no way your classmates share the same passion you do about doing well in law school. 
pudding is delightful

oulguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 09:55:33 PM »
Just do what I do and advise everyone in the class to drop out and always tell people the wrong anwsers.  I think my class rank has moved up 10 spots since the start of the semester!

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 10:20:46 PM »
Impossible to predict. You could work your ass off and still end up squarely in the middle.

I worked very hard my first semester, but my grades placed me around the top 25% or so (my school only ranks at the end of the year). I worked way less the second semester and finished in the top 10%. Go figure.

Just look at your section, which has maybe 70 people or so, and remember that you have to beat 60 of them, give or take.