Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: State of the job market...  (Read 2581 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: State of the job market...
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »
Also, I've heard that some huge percentage of applicants get non-BIGLAW jobs (smaller firms, govt, etc).  I forgot the percentage.  Good luck.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »
yeah i guess the next step is for me to apply to those positions...

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
My conclusion is the job market sucks right now.  For instance, I only landed ONE freaking interview, and I'm in the top third of my class AND on Law Review!  There can be no other explanation for it.  Oh well, at least I have a decent legal job now....

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 05:33:44 AM »
To be frank (I have close friends at UNLV), your career services office stinks which has a lot to do with your OCI problems. The CSO office primarily focuses on Vegas firms. They need to start beating on the doors of AZ, NM, UT, CA, etc. firms.

Also, the Dean isn't doing enough to mitigate your poor bar passage rate and drop in rankings to firms. Yeah, he will tell you that the school is fine but the bottom line is that firms care about that stuff.

Think about it this way, NALP says 12 firms are at your OCI and lets say there are another 3 non-NALP firms. Even if every firm took 2 UNLV kids, everyone in the top 1/3rd still wouldn't get a job. And more likely, some of those firms won't take any UNLV kids especially since they have people from Duke, WUSTL, Northwestern, etc. also applying these days. Go and check the local firms' sites and see where their incoming associates went to school.

Nationally, business is good for law firms. Lots of Big Law firms in NYC and Chicago don't have enough incoming associates and are desperately seeking 3Ls. Salaries are up. Schools are getting requests for more resumes' for summer associates everyday. They just aren't asking UNLV.

I don't mean this as a slam, but hopefully as motivation for you all to go to the administration and tell them to right the ship. No reason you guys should be missing the bus.

My conclusion is the job market sucks right now.  For instance, I only landed ONE freaking interview, and I'm in the top third of my class AND on Law Review!  There can be no other explanation for it.  Oh well, at least I have a decent legal job now....

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 05:50:24 PM »
Notwithstanding your arguments about how much UNLV sucks, the fact of the matter is this: I only applied to Las Vegas firms (and many if not most of the associates who work at Las Vegas firms ARE UNLV graduates) , since I haven't any interest in practicing law outside of Las Vegas.  So, this still does NOT explain why several of my classmates, many of whom who failed to rank, scored innumerable interviews and I didn't...It's a good thing that I don't have my heart set on being a litigator anyway, for if I did, I'd be crushed by the horrible experience I've had with OCI.

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 06:58:39 PM »
I don't want to get into a huge debate here. I honestly was trying to help. My friends like UNLV, just not career services.

That having been said, it doesn't seem like there is a problem with the job market if your friends are getting interviews.

Notwithstanding your arguments about how much UNLV sucks, the fact of the matter is this: I only applied to Las Vegas firms (and many if not most of the associates who work at Las Vegas firms ARE UNLV graduates) , since I haven't any interest in practicing law outside of Las Vegas.  So, this still does NOT explain why several of my classmates, many of whom who failed to rank, scored innumerable interviews and I didn't...It's a good thing that I don't have my heart set on being a litigator anyway, for if I did, I'd be crushed by the horrible experience I've had with OCI.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 03:30:30 AM »
My intention was not to engage in a debate.  I just wanted to make the point that if someone who is in the top third of her class and on Law Review, a credential I was led to believe is quite valuable to most employers, and is still unable to get interviews, there is something wrong here.  There can only be one other explanation as to why my classmates are getting interviews:  they are full-time students, whereas I'm a part-time student who has a full-time job. 

I've been told that many employers look down upon part-time students because they question their commitment to law school:  "she must not be committed if she didn't devote her entire waking hours to law school." 

You would think that employers would look more favorably on part-time students who work because you know that part-time working students are NOT lazy and are, in fact, much more committed to law school than your typical 22-year-old kid who knows nothing about the real world because he/she has yet to enter it.

meenie8

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
maybe you have a typo on your resume...

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »
Salaries are going up so I don't think the market is bad. Maybe it's more competitive because more people are splitting their summers?

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
My intention was not to engage in a debate.  I just wanted to make the point that if someone who is in the top third of her class and on Law Review, a credential I was led to believe is quite valuable to most employers, and is still unable to get interviews, there is something wrong here.  There can only be one other explanation as to why my classmates are getting interviews:  they are full-time students, whereas I'm a part-time student who has a full-time job. 

Do you network and actually know lawyers or are you just participating in OCI and sending out resumes blindly?

Itís a Decentralized, Chaotic Job Market.  Networking works and is an essential job search tool because the job market (both the
advertised and hidden) is decentralized. The advertised job market has limitations.  It probably represents no more than 10-25% of actual job openings.  It tends to represent positions at the extreme ends of the job spectrum (low paid unskilled or highly paid, highly skilled jobs), even though the majority of positions fall somewhere between these two extremes.  Many positions are filled prior to being advertised.  The hidden job market has the greater opportunity.  75-90% or more of the job opportunities are found here, despite the fact that this market lacks a formal structure.