Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reference Check  (Read 1897 times)

north_by_nw

• View Profile
    • Email
Reference Check
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »
I got an offer for a SA position from a firm that I really like. However, the letter said that my offer is contingent upon satisfactory reference checks. I didn't leave my last job under the greatest circumstances and I'm worried that, if contacted, my former employer might not give me a good reference. Does anyone know whether checking references is standard practice at law firms, and how stringent they are about contacting people?

Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Reference Check
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:35:50 PM »
Yes, they'll check your references.  I think it'd be pretty standard, especially since they have conflict checks to worry about (they may want to know what matters you worked on to see if they have to limit your work in anyway).

So what kind of circumstances did you leave under?  If it was a personality clash, that may not be a huge deal.  If there was any problem with your work ethic or your work product, you may have more to worry about.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reference Check
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »
I got an offer for a SA position from a firm that I really like. However, the letter said that my offer is contingent upon satisfactory reference checks. I didn't leave my last job under the greatest circumstances and I'm worried that, if contacted, my former employer might not give me a good reference. Does anyone know whether checking references is standard practice at law firms, and how stringent they are about contacting people?

Thanks!

Technically, unless you've signed some type of agreement, your previous employer can't release any information about you except confirm that you worked there. If you're really worried you may wish to call your previous employer and remind them of this. Casually mention you're in law school now too. That normally has a good effect on people.