Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Midterm Exam - boohuuhuu!!!!  (Read 3449 times)

gogridego

• View Profile
First Midterm Exam - boohuuhuu!!!!
« on: October 17, 2006, 02:26:08 AM »
Okay, I am officially depressed and don't know what to do.  Just received my midterm exam back for contracts and I failed miserably.  Raw points comprised of 50 points total, with 33 points being the highest received and a median of 13.5 and the lowest was a 3 (can you believe that???).  I received a...gasp...11 on the midterm. I work full-time and go to law school part-time and it's exhausting.  I really thought I knew the material pretty well, but don't know what happened.  Actually, I do - I failed to write the way law students are supposed to write. The midterm is worth 20% of our grade with the final worth 80%, and I really wanted to do well so I can transfer the heck out of that school.  Does anyone have advice as to how to jump back into the game or if it is even possible?  Any true stories of inspiration out there for a gal like me? What does it take?  It seems like it's never enough.  Words of inspiration/empowerment/motivation are greatly requested at this time. = )

gibbsale

• View Profile
Re: First Midterm Exam - boohuuhuu!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:41:36 AM »
Midterms during the semester are unusual.  I would talk to your professor and go over your exam, if that is a possibility. If not, try approaching a second-year.

I get the impression that your school curves GPAs low. If that is the case, your midterm is probably a scare. I recommend examples and explanations, particularly for contracts and civil procedure. Finish outlining at least a week before exams and spend your reading week period (if you have one) taking multiple sample exams, either those from your school or others available online or through a series. And don't worry, it is not the end of the world. I had a less than stellar performance on my first practice exam and finished in the top ten percent.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »
Consider yourself lucky to be at a law school that gives mid-terms because if you had only one final at the end...100% of your grade...you would have been in deep trouble.

I just had mid-terms too...

I posted about this on another thread...but think of it. You get graded on how you write, most everybody knows the black letter law. But can you spot the issues, organize your essay and write in a legal manner? You need to learn this outside of class. Getting your outline done, etc. is just the first step.

Get old exams, practice practice practice...and then go and debrief with the sample answers.

I went and took a writing class outside of law school. I did LEEWS last summer, it gave me a good basic understanding on how to structure the exam essay, BUT it does not give you writing practice. Then I took the Fleming's Exam Writing Workshop class. (It is only offered in California or Nevada) but you can get the CD course. Over one weekend, we were taught how to structure, how to issue spot, how to write exams. We did five exams in class and debriefed them in detail. In addition, there are more exams to do in the workbook that you can email in for critique.

It really helped me with my mid-term. I have not gotten my grades back, but I think that I did well. (We will see... :) )

For finals, I am taking lots and lots of practice exams and debriefing them afterwards.

Hope this helps? I am only a 1L, part-time student, full-time "worker"...but maybe there are some 2Ls and 3Ls on this board who have taken this approach and can chime in?

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:33:33 AM »
I had one mid-term in Contracts, Prof. gave grades as highest grade, top 1/3, mid 1/3, bottom 1/3.  I was in the bottom third.  I used it as motivation to study, go to some of those exam prep sessions held by the school and ended up with a A- in the class, and an A second semester.

My point is that you should use this as a motivation tool.  Don't forget about it, but at the same time, don't let it get you down.  If you can, talk to your prof about improving.  Use commerical outlines.  Practice hypos.  Ace the final.  Good luck!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »
Pick up a Seigel's book.  It has essey exam questions and sample answers, and does a pretty fair job of addressing the issues.  It's excellent practice for writing exams.

And it should go without saying that you need to go see your professor if at all possible and ask for feedback and advice, to find out where you went off track.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »
thats awesome that u have midterms. we just have finals.
Attending: OU