Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying for 1L summer jobs before grades are out  (Read 13693 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Applying for 1L summer jobs before grades are out
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:33:12 PM »
So alot of NALP listed firms say you should apply ASAP after 12/1.

I'm assuming you need to wait until you get your grades or you will just be mailing out resumes to be used as coasters.

Whats the procedure on this? I'm pretty sure some of my grades won't be out until after new years.

Also what are some other resources to seek out jobs? aAll the NALP firms want top 10% and law review and I we don't even get on Law review until May and I'm probably goinng to be top half not top 10%.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Applying for 1L summer jobs before grades are out
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:07:30 AM »
If you're 1L, they'll know that, and they won't expect you to have grades; obviously the law review proviso won't apply either.  The sad truth is that your chances of getting one of these jobs after your first year are slim to none, no matter where you are.  Each firm, if they even hire hire 1Ls, only hires maybe 1-3 of them per summer; for each of these positions, it is reasonable to assume that there are probably thousands of applicants, all of which look pretty fungible as far as their resumes are concerned (again, you don't have grades or honors; usually, this process favors those with significant prior work experience, as it's the only way to set yourself apart from the rest).

The better course might be to instead focus on doing well on your exams, rather than sending out a bunch of cover letters and resumes that will probably get you nothing but depressing rejection letters (and perhaps at the worst possible time, depending on when finals are).  It will work out better for you in the long term.  As for your 1L summer job search, look perhaps at small or mid-sized firms that do work that interests you (or that looks interesting to you), at public sector/public interest employers, at judicial internships (if you can afford not to get paid), etc.  All of these tend to have later hiring schedules, which will reduce your stresses, provide wonderful experience, and probably work just as well on a resume for 2L interviews (the basic point of the 1L summer is to have some law-related experience to talk about, but I don't think anyone will look down their nose at you if you worked at the public defender's office, rather than summered with WhiteShoe, WhiteShoe, and WhiteShoe LLP).
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:21:44 PM »
I am interested in working (for no money, so I guess you would call it volunteering) at a public interest organization.  Our career services people said that it was no problem for me to wait until winter break to send resumes, so that's what I did.  I was more concerned with getting good grades (especially since our exams were 12/7 to 12/22) rather than chasing a paying biglaw firm job that probably wouldn't materialize anyway. 

We shall see how that strategy worked out in about a month.

:)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »
For public interest, you've probably applied too early.  Many that don't have formal intern programs may not hire until the middle of spring.  Just remember where you applied and if you don't really hear anything, send another resume and everything in the beginning of March.

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »
I'm assuming you need to wait until you get your grades or you will just be mailing out resumes to be used as coasters.

I just love this quote.

Actually, I sent out resumes on 12/1, and I've gotten a number of positive responses; not a ton, mind you, but I do have 4 callback interviews. I also have about 35 rejections. I think 90% of the 1Ls who do end up getting 1L firm jobs are the ones who took the time to mass mass in December. The other 10% are kids who did really great on exams and can work it at Spring OCI.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
I just don't have a resume that is going to get me hired without some grades on it.

I'm also going to be content with doing anything I can get this summer.