Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ST. Johns Review  (Read 19568 times)

NextL

• View Profile
ST. Johns Review
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:41:38 AM »
For all of us contemplating St. Johns, could you please review your experiences with them.  Categories of interest include:
admissions
professors
students
workload (how many hours a day/week are you studying?)
are you happy with your decision to go to St. Johns?

beckett

• View Profile
Re: ST. Johns Review
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »
For all of us contemplating St. Johns, could you please review your experiences with them.  Categories of interest include:
admissions
professors
students
workload (how many hours a day/week are you studying?)
are you happy with your decision to go to St. Johns?

admissions
The people were the nicest I dealt with (and still are). The downside is that I found out I was admitted by an email inviting me to an admitted students open house. I was not the only one who found out this way. They processed my application fairly quickly.

professors
I've been lucky so far. My profs have ranged from good to great. Not a clunker in the bunch. But, other students in different sections have reported some dreadful experiences. I do think St John's actually values teaching ability. They've all been open and available outside of class and usually good at answering questions.

students
no problems here. there is a range of people of course, but I haven't encountered any reprehensible behavior. The intelligence level is plenty high, and people are happy to talk about torts and contracts all day, but people also come out for touch football every friday. All in all a pretty enjoyable student atmosphere.

workload
heavy and getting heavier. I think you're going to get this anywhere. I study 4-5 hours a day and am pickin (with two days off), and am picking it up now that finals are looming. No matter where you go, you're first year is going to be very difficult.

Happy with decision?
Yep. So far. I guess I reserve the right to change my mind if I get poor grades, but I like the school a lot. I am really looking forward to getting involved with pro bono opportunities next semester and participating in clinics next year. Also, I went to a big state school, so I appreciate that everything is not impersonal, and that the beauracracy is not so thick.

Caveat:
I don't know if you're from the area, but people sometimes have the idea that the campus is in or right next to the city. It's 12 miles out of manhattan, and it taked about 50 minutes by subway and a comparable amount of time by car to get there. It is not a city school in the way that Brooklyn, Cardozo, Fordham, Columbia, and NYU are, though it within the city limits and does have OCI opportunities with city firms.

hth

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
Re: ST. Johns Review
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:14:19 PM »
I agree with Beckett mostly..I have 1 really crappy professor, and 1 pretty boring, but remains to be seen how crappy professor.  The others are very solid.

And Section A kicks Section C's ass at football... ;)