Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What was the difference between your average preptest score and the real LSAT?

>+5
 18 (22.5%)
+3 tor 4
 4 (5%)
+1 or 2
 8 (10%)
 9 (11.3%)
- 1 or 2
 2 (2.5%)
- 3 to 4
 13 (16.3%)
>-5
 14 (17.5%)
I didn't take any practice tests.
 12 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?  (Read 39063 times)

vergene

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »

What do you mean, F. Korbee? Ancient Greeks were really freaks and @ # ! * e d boys in the way it's described in here ... it was the Church that imposed restrictions on gay sex and pederasty ... nowadays we may think of the Christian faith as being overtly restrictive when it comes to sexuality, but you've to take into account the bestiality of ancient world to figure out as to why the church has tried to impose the kinds of restrictions that we know of ...

Sh.Gemal, I think you are just scared - I mean, a lil' bit more than you should normally be :) No Congressman will @ # ! * a page if the latter does not agree beforehand to being f  u c k e d ... I mean, come on, these people are not raping or something!

scores

• View Profile
Great LORs
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »

What do you mean, F. Korbee? Ancient Greeks were really freaks and @ # ! * e d boys in the way it's described in here ... it was the Church that imposed restrictions on gay sex and pederasty ... nowadays we may think of the Christian faith as being overtly restrictive when it comes to sexuality, but you've to take into account the bestiality of ancient world to figure out as to why the church has tried to impose the kinds of restrictions that we know of ...

Sh.Gemal, I think you are just scared - I mean, a lil' bit more than you should normally be :) No Congressman will @ # ! * a page if the latter does not agree beforehand to being f  u c k e d ... I mean, come on, these people are not raping or something!

Actually, I think Sh.Gemal has misunderstood this whole thing - I mean, which page would refuse to go with a Congressman (get @ # ! * e d, to put in your words) were he given the opportunity?! When they decide to become pages for these statesmen, they have taken into account that they may be required to perform certain services of these kind - actually, that's what these pages do, truth be told! But they get in exchange great LORs, e.g., that catapult them to blue-blood schools like Harvard and Columbia!

pretamanger

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2011, 01:52:51 AM »
Yes.

The bearded man is depicted in a traditional pederastic courtship gesture, one hand reaching to fondle the young man, the other grasping his chin so as to look him in the eye. The youth is putting up symbolic resistance only.

Greek pederasty, as idealized by the Greeks from Archaic times onward, was a relationship and bond between an adolescent boy and an adult man outside of his immediate family, and was constructed as an aristocratic moral and educational institution. As such, it was seen by the Greeks as an essential element in their culture from the time of Homer onwards. The term derives from the combination of pais (Greek for 'boy') with erastēs (Greek for 'lover'; cf. eros). In a wider sense it referred to erotic love between adolescents and adult men. The Greeks considered it normal for any man to be drawn to the beauty of a boy - just as much if not more than to that of a woman. What they disagreed upon was whether and how to express that desire. Pederasty is closely associated with the customs of athletic and artistic nudity in the gymnasia, delayed marriage for gentlemen, symposia and seclusion of women. It is also integral to Greek military training, and an important factor in the deployment of troops.

The ancient Greeks of the pederastic city-states were the first to describe, study, systematize, and establish pederasty as an institution. The origin of that tradition has been variously explained. One school of thought, articulated by Bernard Sergent, holds that the Greek pederastic model evolved from far older Indo-European rites of passage, which were grounded in a shamanic tradition with roots in the neolithic. Another explanation, articulated by Anglophone scholars such as William Percy, holds that pederasty was formalized in ancient Crete around 630 B.C. as a means of population control, together with delayed age of marriage for men of 30 years.

The Spartans however were said to practice chaste pederasty. Where allowed, a free man was usually entitled to fall in love with a boy, proclaim it publicly, and court him as long as the boy in question manifested the traits prerequisite to a pederastic relationship: he had to be kalos (καλός), "handsome" and agathos ((καλός), good, brave, just, and modest. The boy was expected to be circumspect and not let himself be easily won. Generally, the role of the lover had many of the characteristics of that of legal guardian, similar to the role of male relatives of the boy.

Socrates, Plato, Aeschines Socraticus, and Xenophon described the inspirational powers of love between men though decrying its physical expression. Upon the death of Plato the presidency of the Academy passed from lover to lover. Of the Stoics, Chrysippus, Cleanthes, and Zeno fell in love with young men. Socrates, as represented in Plato's writings, appears to have favored chaste pederastic relationships, marked by a balance between desire and self-control. By setting aside the sexual consummation of the relationship, Socrates essentialized the friendship and love between the partners. He pointedly criticized purely physical infatuations, for example by mocking Critias' lust for Euthydemus by comparing his behavior towards the boy to that of a "a piglet scratching itself against a rock". That, however, did not prevent him from frequenting the boy brothels, from which he bought and freed his future friend and student, Phaedo, nor from describing his erotic intoxication upon glimpsing the beautiful Charmides' naked body beneath his open tunic. Socrates' love of Alcibiades, which was more than reciprocated, is held as an example of chaste pederasty. Plutarch and Xenophon, in their descriptions of Spartan pederasty, state that even though it is the beautiful boys who are sought above all others (contrary to the Cretan traditions), nevertheless the pederastic couple remains chaste.

Male relationships were represented in complex ways, some honorable and others dishonorable. But for the vast majority of ancient historians for a man to have not had a youth for a lover presented a deficiency in character. Plato, in his early works (the Symposium or in Phaedrus), does not question the principles of pederasty and states, referring to same-sex relationships:

[...]

Social aspects

The erastes-eromenos relationship was fundamental to the Classical Greek social and educational system, had its own complex social-sexual etiquette and was an important social institution among the upper class. Pederastic relationships were dyadic mentorships. These mentorships were sanctioned by the state, as evidenced by laws mandating and controlling such relationships. Likewise, they were consecrated by the religious establishment, as can be seen from the many myths describing such relationships between gods and heroes (Apollo and Hyacinth, Zeus and Ganymede, Heracles and Hylas, Pan and Daphnis) and between one hero and another (Achilles and Patroclus, Orestes and Pylades). It is interesting to note that the Greeks tried to project a semblance of pederasty (read: propriety) onto these last two pairs, despite a great deal of evidence that the two myths were originally intended to symbolize egalitarian relationships. In general, the pederasty described in the Greek literary sources is clearly an aristocratic institution.

What??

Nothing strange about it, kaps! Not only was pederasty an institution in ancient Greece, it was an ARISTOCRATIC institution! It was also fundamental to their educational system, with Socrates, Plato and the like having had had their preferred students (the mentorship type of thing, you know).

F.Korbee, there were also women, not only men who engaged in such relations - Sappho was one such lesbian, for instance. The word "lesbian" derives from the name of the island of her birth, Lesbos. Other sources, though, claim that one meaning of the word "lesbian" derives from the poems of Sappho, who was born in Lesbos.

Question or Answer

• View Profile
Re: How Much For Acropolis?
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2012, 12:20:44 AM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmVLXUiaaXA&feature=related

Rafaella Carra's "A Far l'Amore Comincia Tu," episio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTaE2BoCtNI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppENAIrM_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0iq1rS1j5s&feature=related

She belongs to another generation - my parents were familiar with her!

The generation of Mireille Mathieu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPvKRDnAz5A&feature=related

Ah Acropolis! Such a great place to visit! I've been only once in Greece (my brother used to live there) and I surely did take advantage to visit it! I can safely say that Athens is famous mostly because of Acropolis and its ancient history! When I immigrated to the US (my brother got me and several others to the US on special C visas :) all the people at my work was jealous I had been in Athens!

By now Greece is for sale. Including its famous Acropolis.

Finland wants collateral (the Acropolis?) to support a second bailout.

http://www.ipoliticalrisk.com/2011/07/finland-eyes-acropolis-as-greek-debt.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255449/Greece-debt-crisis-German-MPs-suggest-Greek-Islands-Acropolis-sale.html

I don't think the Constitution of any European country would allow the actual sale of a part of its territories ...

surepiro

• View Profile
Re: How Much For Acropolis?
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »

Ah Acropolis! Such a great place to visit! I've been only once in Greece (my brother used to live there) and I surely did take advantage to visit it! I can safely say that Athens is famous mostly because of Acropolis and its ancient history! When I immigrated to the US (my brother got me and several others to the US on special C visas :) all the people at my work was jealous I had been in Athens!

C visas?! Never heard about such visas - are you sure you have the right letter?

GiuGiaku

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »

C visas?! Never heard about such visas - are you sure you have the right letter?

Exactly, surepiro - mimosa doesn't know what she's talking about - unless she's playing the dumbass here!

malachovsky

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »

Oh please, don't get me started with Britney Spears - she's an idiot! Why do you blame the culture - she knew what she's getting into! They don't say in vain, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

Nobody's really feels sorry for her - she got a h e l l of a lot of money for singing all those crap songs, and now that new (crap) songs are out and she's not a diva anymore - we are supposed to feel bad for her?! I mean she got during those peak years a h e l l of a lot more money that a plain old folk makes in his lifetime! Pop singers are a bit like professional football players - they make all their money at once and then retire!

Fair game, I would say, you can't pretend you're not in the right place, at the right time! Everything happens for a reason! I mean, you have Madonna, she's 50+ and she's able to still make it - because she knows the nature of the beast she's fighting against and does not let herself down!

Saction8

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »

Here are the key theorists on group formation and dynamics:

Gustave Le Bon was a French social psychologist whose seminal study, "The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind" (1896) led to the development of group psychology.

Sigmund Freud's "Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego," (1922) based on a critique of Le Bon's work, led to further development in theories of group behavior in the latter half of the twentieth century.

Jacob L. Moreno was a psychiatrist, dramatist, philosopher and theoretician who coined the term "group psychotherapy" in the early 1930s and was highly influential at the time.

Kurt Lewin (1943, 1948, 1951) is commonly identified as the founder of the movement to study groups scientifically. He coined the term group dynamics to describe the way groups and individuals act and react to changing circumstances.

William Schutz (1958, 1966) looked at interpersonal relations from the perspective of three dimensions: inclusion, control, and affection. This became the basis for a theory of group behavior that sees groups as resolving issues in each of these stages in order to be able to develop to the next stage. Conversely, a group may also devolve to an earlier stage if unable to resolve outstanding issues in a particular stage.

Wilfred Bion (1961) studied group dynamics from a psychoanalytic perspective, and stated that he was much influenced by Wilfred Trotter for whom he worked at University College Hospital London, as did another key figure in the Psychoanalytic movement, Ernest Jones. He discovered several mass group processes which involved the group as a whole adopting an orientation which, in his opinion, interfered with the ability of a group to accomplish the work it was nominally engaged in. His experiences are reported in his published books, especially "Experiences in Groups." The Tavistock Institute has further developed and applied the theory and practices developed by Bion.

Bruce Tuckman (1965) proposed the four-stage model called Tuckman's Stages for a group. Tuckman's model states that the ideal group decision-making process should occur in four stages and later added a fifth stage for the dissolution of a group called adjourning.

M. Scott Peck developed stages for larger-scale groups (i.e., communities) which are similar to Tuckman's stages of group development.

You could have simply reminded us of Wikipedia where to find the information that you have pasted here.

I can't believe it, countryman, when people rely on Wikipedia as a primary source of research - the way Wikipedia works is that it makes a summary of the points that different people - which means in practice "just everybody" - have made on the subject. Think about it! You are guaranteed to find there a h e l l of a lot of * & ^ %!

entitatitivity

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »

Not really! As the glut of excess lawyers continues unabated (and as technology makes many things possible with far fewer lawyers) further adjustments are not far behind. Currently, the top 10-15% (gradewise) from 1st tier schools (roughly, the 40 or so best schools in the U.S.) go to two kinds of jobs. They go to "traditional firms" (these firms used to hire from the top 50%) and government jobs (that used to go to the bottom 50% of the class from the bottom 50% of the schools). Worse, after a year of so of looking for work, the very status of length out of law school is a permanent barrier to most employment. A history in a small firm, as a solo or in a District Attorney's Office qualifies an attorney only to go to work for herself or himself.

The "ticket punching" era has come to an end -- in some states slowly, in some states with great drama. In one instance (when the great "crunch" hit Texas) schools went from full placement by Christmas of the senior year to 20% placement at graduation in the course of one class. Virtually all of the Harvard class of '75 made partner by the 10-year reunion. Of the Harvard class of '85, so few made partner by the 10-year reunion it was a Section B front page story in the Wall Street Journal.

What really gets me is how does the site allows posters with avatars such as this one's? Is this place for law students or law whores?

Try to be a lil' bit more open-minded Hayde! :)

I don't really think they police the site to that extent - oh, one more thing, Hayde, law students and law whores are two different things indeed, just don't confuse them with each-other..

I concur, externship - it takes a while for a law student to become a law whore!

manual

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »

I'd like to add that, as things are, nowadays it is gay people that are engaged in the freest and most equal relationships. They are already outside of the family and they have already, at least in part, rejected the "masculine" and "feminine" roles that society has designed for them. For straight men and women it is impossible to escape their rigid gender roles and those of oppressor and oppressed. Gay men and lesbian women don't need to oppress women in order to fulfill their own psychosexual needs, and lesbian women don't have to relate sexuality to the male oppressor. Homosexuality, love between people who are alike, is decisively distinct from heterosexuality in its structural feature that two people who are lovers of a third can themselves also, in principle, be lovers. Such provides an absolute precondition if rivalry and hate are to be ended.

I do believe gay men have a great deal to teach straight men about initiation and mourning the loss of power in the culture. Gay community is the story of what men gain by sacrificing the power conferred by gender when they come out of the closet. This is the pivotal real-life experience of every out gay man -- a usually terrifying sacrifice of conventional values and power. It is this that threatens most straight men (and the institutions they control), although it usually gets expressed simplistically in statements about envy or contempt of the gay people's sexual freedoms. The so-called straight man says he has no model for going "beyond the hero" and the conventional male warrior, forgetting or repressing the model right under his nose, represented for him in the gay community -- the man who has renounced, by whatever process and for various reasons, the "patriarchal dividend," i.e., the payoff for being part of the patriarchy. Straight men have much to learn from their homosexual counterparts about handling, containing, and transforming the pain that results from their "falling out" of unconscious identity with the patriarchy.

The breaking down of divisions between gay and straight is not going to happen by gay and straight meeting half-way. Because straight, by definition, is consonant with the gender system, the ground on which gays shall gradually converge with their straight brothers is on their side of the fence. If straights are serious about undermining masculinity, then they must accept the fact of their own deviance as defined by the existing order, and as long as they resist the idea and the reality of homosexuality, we can only see this as a deep-seated allegiance to the masculine gender that belies their professions of anti-sexism. Gays for their part refuse to accept that they are permanently set apart as the minority. This is a static view of the situation - viewed dynamically, they are the thin end of a wedge. Gayness is the wedge that splits open the gender system, in which feminine and masculine men fit together in the sexual division of labor: a double wedge in fact, as the rejection of heterosexuality and all it implies proceeds in parallel among both women and men. As more and more people follow gay people's lead and the gender system crumbles, they shall have to redefine themselves, no longer as a deviant minority but as the new majority, having only pity for the stubborn minority who still cling for a while to the traditional path.

Even when straight men are allied by common work, kinship or belief, they are still underneath it all enemy brothers; it is legendary how competition over women turns brotherhood into hate. Even when not immediately realized, this potential always lurks just beneath the surface, dividing men from one another and thus helping perpetuate the law of violence -- indeed it is the first precondition for masculine hierarchy. If men are to love one another, it must be possible for them to love one another in the full, sexual sense; as long as this is tabooed, inter-male competition can never be dissolved. What perpetuates this vicious competition, of course, is not the practice of heterosexuality, but the non-practice of homosexuality. It would disappear if the gender system were abolished, and human beings could relate to one another irrespective of biological sex, i.e., both homo and heterosexually, with the family accordingly replaced by a form of commune. But in this case, the resultant 'bisexuality' would be clearly established on the terms of homosexuality, or rather gayness. It would be a sexuality between essentially similar individuals, rather than essentially dissimilar, thus 'homosexual' rather than 'heterosexual.'

Thinking about being gay in such a way means to make a job out of it.

What exactly do you mean flashplayer? That thinking about being gay as having some kind of "mission" in life causes you so much trouble that you feel just like you're having a full-time job - one for which you're not being paid though? I'd assume this is the deduction one would normally make, although I'm sure someone out there could make the exact opposite argument starting from exactly the same premises..

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=3003617.msg5394090#msg5394090

What, Baikal?! I'm not sure what you exactly mean, but I'd speculate - are you saying that even not thinking about being gay as having some kind of "mission" in life still results in having a full-time job, for which you're not be paid - with all that w h o r i n g that goes on in corporate offices between that ugly boss and - God forbid you are a - cute guy?!

Just like the case is with women, after all! We tend to think men are employed and paid regardless of their looks and sexual attractiveness, but the truth is that that male objectification happens all too often, just like the case is with women treated first and foremost as sexual objects!

It kinda remembers me that song, "Takin' care of business, working overtime!"