Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What was the difference between your average preptest score and the real LSAT?

>+5
 18 (22.5%)
+3 tor 4
 4 (5%)
+1 or 2
 8 (10%)
 9 (11.3%)
- 1 or 2
 2 (2.5%)
- 3 to 4
 13 (16.3%)
>-5
 14 (17.5%)
I didn't take any practice tests.
 12 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?  (Read 40252 times)

by extension

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »

Since Madonna essentially based her career riffing off this archetype, it seems only natural. People claim that the word "virgin" in antiquity did not necessarily mean that someone never had sex. It meant instead that a woman was "without" man, which could also mean that she was an independent property owner. Some such women in classical cultures were also sacred prostitutes... or so the story goes. They acted as incarnations of the goddess. A parallel tradition exists still today in some sects of Hinduism with the devadasis. Plus there is that whole psychological trend in the modern culture called the "Virgin/Whore complex" which Madonna played to a tee.

Don't forget that it wasn't her midriff that freaked out folks and inspired girls to start chopping shirts into halter tops; it was the power of her sexuality, and her belief in it, the way she acknowledged it and controlled it, the way she self-consciously toyed with it. Madonna embraced and mocked the virgin/whore complex, ironically flaunted her body as a self-sold commodity and challenged the male gaze all the way to the bank. She proved that there were non-academic, street-savvy ways to express yourself and find empowerment. Madonna was a symbol of unrepressed female creativity and power sexy, seductive, serious, and strong.

But of course, lochies, that's what spellit was saying, you did not have to repeat it once again! :)
I have a map. It has 'You are here' written all over it.

Inis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »

Since Madonna essentially based her career riffing off this archetype, it seems only natural. People claim that the word "virgin" in antiquity did not necessarily mean that someone never had sex. It meant instead that a woman was "without" man, which could also mean that she was an independent property owner. Some such women in classical cultures were also sacred prostitutes... or so the story goes. They acted as incarnations of the goddess. A parallel tradition exists still today in some sects of Hinduism with the devadasis. Plus there is that whole psychological trend in the modern culture called the "Virgin/Whore complex" which Madonna played to a tee.

Don't forget that it wasn't her midriff that freaked out folks and inspired girls to start chopping shirts into halter tops; it was the power of her sexuality, and her belief in it, the way she acknowledged it and controlled it, the way she self-consciously toyed with it. Madonna embraced and mocked the virgin/whore complex, ironically flaunted her body as a self-sold commodity and challenged the male gaze all the way to the bank. She proved that there were non-academic, street-savvy ways to express yourself and find empowerment. Madonna was a symbol of unrepressed female creativity and power sexy, seductive, serious, and strong.

But of course, lochies, that's what spellit was saying, you did not have to repeat it once again! :)

Well, by extension, they say repetition is the mother of learning; case in which, the question appears to be who would the father be? :)
Don't you hate when your hand falls asleep and you know it will be up all night.

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »

Well, by extension, they say repetition is the mother of learning; case in which, the question appears to be who would the father be? :)

Boredom, of course, Inis, repetition can be the father of boredom as well as the mother of learning :)
I saw a bank that said "24 Hour Banking," but I don't have that much time.

wordsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »

Boredom, of course, Inis, repetition can be the father of boredom as well as the mother of learning :)

;)
It sure looks like Greek to me!

anon

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »

1.  King Alexander the Great of Macedonia, 336-323 BC
2.  King Demetrius Poliorcetes of Macedonia, 294-288 BC
3.  King Antiochus I of Macedonia, 280-261 BC
4.  King Antigonus II Gonatas of Macedonia, 276-239 BC

[...]

Did you hear recently more on the ongoing, idiotic conflict between Greece and Macedonia? I mean, Jesus, it's crystal clear, e.g., Alexander the Great was Greek -- FYROM should not use the name "Macedonia."

marygo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »

1.  King Alexander the Great of Macedonia, 336-323 BC
2.  King Demetrius Poliorcetes of Macedonia, 294-288 BC
3.  King Antiochus I of Macedonia, 280-261 BC
4.  King Antigonus II Gonatas of Macedonia, 276-239 BC

[...]

Did you hear recently more on the ongoing, idiotic conflict between Greece and Macedonia? I mean, Jesus, it's crystal clear, e.g., Alexander the Great was Greek -- FYROM should not use the name "Macedonia."

Macedonia is just a word -- should it really matter this much to Greece nowadays? Just a thought, you know...

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
Well, marygo, words have meanings...sometimes very specific ones...

:|

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
What if Macedonia changes its name -- will Greece start calling itself Macedonia?
When I get bored I go to a 7-11 and ask for a 2-by-4 and a box of 3-by-5.

ysa

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »

What if Macedonia changes its name -- will Greece start calling itself Macedonia?

It's not that simple -- do you know that Macedonia's major airport is called Skopje Alexander The Great Airport?

episio

• View Profile