Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What was the difference between your average preptest score and the real LSAT?

>+5
 18 (22.5%)
+3 tor 4
 4 (5%)
+1 or 2
 8 (10%)
 9 (11.3%)
- 1 or 2
 2 (2.5%)
- 3 to 4
 13 (16.3%)
>-5
 14 (17.5%)
I didn't take any practice tests.
 12 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?  (Read 38879 times)

guessy

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2007, 10:25:31 PM »

Extortion is always bad and criminal. It may be profitable at times but so is almost everything else that happens to be criminal. It feels good to have been paid for what might have been some fun too. But this guy might have taken a very dangerous step and possibly underestimated the other guy's desire for revenge. There are a number of people out there who would not hesitate to do much worse things than just break a couple of ribs. They might or might not be forced to face the music later on, but what good would that do to someone?

Evidently this guy enjoyed taking the path of least resistance. I would assume the guy was not getting into any relationship with somebody to give, love, care and respect. I guess the gay guy did not expect that either. He had to be dense to think the married guy would pay and love him at the same time. He would be better off dropping the 'straight' dude altogether and find himself a loving gay man who would give him all the love and respect he wanted.

Exactly, this is leeching!

Couldn't agree more! Such cases are really troubling! I read about a guy who extortioned a married man who was cheating on his wife. He wrote to the subject and told him to get the amount in hundreds, so that there would not be too many dollar bills. He told him to go into a bookstore and stuff the bills inside a book. They had agreed before which book would be. It was an unknown author, just some crap. He went into the store and bought the book.

Assuming the guy did not much care about his marriage and alerted the police -- and the latter was waiting in the store for him -- he had such a potential problem taken care of this way: if cops were waiting for him to buy the book (as he had to be the blackmailer) there would simply not be a sure fire way for them to prove that he was not just an unlucky guy who wanted to buy this certain book. They would probably know that he was the bad guy -- but they had to prove it, he didn't have to prove he was not the culprit. No prosecutor on earth would have a realistic chance of convicting him, even if he'd eventually be arrested by the police. 

horus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2007, 08:23:48 PM »

LOS ANGELES -- An appearance in family court sought by Kevin Federline amid a child custody dispute with Britney Spears was canceled Thursday after the pop star entered a rehabilitation program. Spears has gone into the Promises Malibu drug and alcohol rehabilitation center, her manager, Larry Rudolph, confirmed in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He gave no details. The TV entertainment magazines "Extra" and "The Insider" and the Web site TMZ said Spears' mother, Lynne Spears, drove her daughter to the center, which she had reportedly been in and out of earlier in the week.

The center specializes in treating drug and alcohol abuse. Last week, Spears sought treatment at a center in the Caribbean but also checked out after a day, according to various reports. Spears and Federline reportedly agreed Wednesday night that he would keep their two young sons while Spears was in rehabilitation, a program that takes between 30 and 45 days.

Last Friday, Spears arrived at a San Fernando Valley hair salon, grabbed an electric razor and shaved her head bald. Afterward, she visited a tattoo parlor, where she had a pair of red-and-pink lips inked onto her wrist. Then she went out clubbing with friends before apparently checking into Promises. Whether her recent behavior will damage her recording career is hard to say, said Vibe magazine music editor Jon Caramanica.

Spears, whose 1999 debut album, "... Baby One More Time," sold more than 13 million copies, hasn't released a new album since 2003. Before her troubles began she had promised one this year, and Caramanica suggested that might be a good outlet to address what she's going through. "I think the best thing she could do is make an album that engages with this subject matter in some way," he said. "Not only to have a good album but to have an album that's a declaration of emotional health."

She checked out of rehab I heard. Since filing for divorce from Kevin Federline last November, Spears draw criticism for her drinking, partying and sloppy appearance. She's been photographed intoxicated at nightclubs, carried out of a Las Vegas club on New Year's Eve after collapsing. Reps blamed the collapse on exhaustion. A former assistant of Spears' wrote on a gossip blog that Spears was headed for "rock bottom" and was in desperate need of help.

lex parsimoniae

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »

It's really a shame! I mean, how could people be so stupid in today's America and go ahead and reelect a hypocrite like him?

Excuse me, aren't these type of things exactly the ones for which one becomes a senator/congressman/elected official? I mean, that's what having power means, to be able to do things for which "simple" people go to jail if they do them -- go with children, kill, whatever!

I am assuming you're being sarcastic; if not, it's a shame you go to law school (if you really do)!

hephaistion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »

[...] "Keep in mind that this is something that occurs not only in the gay community but also the heterosexual community," says Duncan. "Repeated solicitation of the same prostitute does not constitute a legal relationship. That's against the law. But the idea of a 'kept' relationship is that it is a long-term solution where one person supports the other. It's not prostitution. It may be money for sex, but usually there is more consideration shown in these long-term relationships." [...]

Is he using the term "consideration" in the legal sense? I cannot really tell...
You cannot oppress people who not afraid anymore.

under review

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »

Couldn't agree more! Such cases are really troubling! I read about a guy who extortioned a married man who was cheating on his wife. He wrote to the subject and told him to get the amount in hundreds, so that there would not be too many dollar bills. He told him to go into a bookstore and stuff the bills inside a book. They had agreed before which book would be. It was an unknown author, just some crap. He went into the store and bought the book.

Assuming the guy did not much care about his marriage and alerted the police -- and the latter was waiting in the store for him -- he had such a potential problem taken care of this way: if cops were waiting for him to buy the book (as he had to be the blackmailer) there would simply not be a sure fire way for them to prove that he was not just an unlucky guy who wanted to buy this certain book. They would probably know that he was the bad guy -- but they had to prove it, he didn't have to prove he was not the culprit. No prosecutor on earth would have a realistic chance of convicting him, even if he'd eventually be arrested by the police. 

What a shame!

c a u s u a l

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »

[...] "Keep in mind that this is something that occurs not only in the gay community but also the heterosexual community," says Duncan. "Repeated solicitation of the same prostitute does not constitute a legal relationship. That's against the law. But the idea of a 'kept' relationship is that it is a long-term solution where one person supports the other. It's not prostitution. It may be money for sex, but usually there is more consideration shown in these long-term relationships." [...]

Is he using the term "consideration" in the legal sense? I cannot really tell...

It's conceivable he is; although we all know that cops are basically dumbasses, as a police lieutenant he may know just a little bit about law and the like.

horwitz

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2007, 06:48:01 AM »

He was definitely not some kind of "big fish" though [...] Nothing like somebody who'd put a contract on someone to take revenge.

??
The problem is, they don't have your ambition. They want you to lead, and then they resent you.

spellit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2007, 12:38:13 PM »

Looks like Madonna has smarter advisors/pr people!

Don't forget that Madonna herself is a helluva lot smarter than Spears! The newest additions to the tarot deck? Here it is:

It's loosely based on the High Priestess card in the regular tarot, which in turn is loosely based on the "Mother of God" myth appearing in Christianity as the Virgin Mary. Since Madonna essentially based her career riffing off this archetype, it seems only natural. People claim that the word "virgin" in antiquity did not necessarily mean that someone never had sex. It meant instead that a woman was "without" man, which could also mean that she was an independent property owner. Some such women in classical cultures were also sacred prostitutes... or so the story goes. They acted as incarnations of the goddess. A parallel tradition exists still today in some sects of Hinduism with the devadasis. Plus there is that whole psychological trend in the modern culture called the "Virgin/Whore complex" which Madonna played to a tee.

In her lap is Britney Spears, whom if you recall Madonna kissed on the mouth at that awards show some years back, and who used many of the media-sex-virgin-whore tactics Madonna pioneered to build her own career. Britney's shirt says "Cult Member" which is a shirt Madonna "ironically" wore outside her Kabbalah center to gain media attention. The Madonna of the trademark pointy boobs and headset era is chosen. Her headset connects to the boombox at her feet -- since creative sound/energy is the basis of her strength. At the base of her throne are the words "Kabbalistic" which is from a patented t-shirt line she has. And the title of Britney's song "I'm a slave 4 u." Behind her is the "Kabbalistic" Tree of Life. The wording is in Japanese, since her effort to popularize the Kabbalah is trying to be exotic just for the sake of being hip. Enclosing her from the right and left sides are two pillars which are loosely based on the ones from the High Priestess card. In that card, the "B" and "J" stand for Boaz and Jachin, which were the names of the two pillars of Solomon's Temple (these are also important to Masonic tradition). In our updated terminology though, "B" and "J" should be read together as "BJ" standing for "Blow Job." Also, the BJ pillars (phalluses?) enclose the black area behind her into a classic coffin shape. The idea being the link between sex and death. In this case also, The Tree of Life behind her is also literally the matrix from which new life springs.

lochies

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »

Since Madonna essentially based her career riffing off this archetype, it seems only natural. People claim that the word "virgin" in antiquity did not necessarily mean that someone never had sex. It meant instead that a woman was "without" man, which could also mean that she was an independent property owner. Some such women in classical cultures were also sacred prostitutes... or so the story goes. They acted as incarnations of the goddess. A parallel tradition exists still today in some sects of Hinduism with the devadasis. Plus there is that whole psychological trend in the modern culture called the "Virgin/Whore complex" which Madonna played to a tee.

Don't forget that it wasn't her midriff that freaked out folks and inspired girls to start chopping shirts into halter tops; it was the power of her sexuality, and her belief in it, the way she acknowledged it and controlled it, the way she self-consciously toyed with it. Madonna embraced and mocked the virgin/whore complex, ironically flaunted her body as a self-sold commodity and challenged the male gaze all the way to the bank. She proved that there were non-academic, street-savvy ways to express yourself and find empowerment. Madonna was a symbol of unrepressed female creativity and power sexy, seductive, serious, and strong.
I'm a female dog, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

a l g o l

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »

It's really a shame! I mean, how could people be so stupid in today's America and go ahead and reelect a hypocrite like him?

Excuse me, aren't these type of things exactly the ones for which one becomes a senator/congressman/elected official? I mean, that's what having power means, to be able to do things for which "simple" people go to jail if they do them -- go with children, kill, whatever!

I am assuming you're being sarcastic; if not, it's a shame you go to law school (if you really do)!

??