Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What was the difference between your average preptest score and the real LSAT?

>+5
 18 (22.5%)
+3 tor 4
 4 (5%)
+1 or 2
 8 (10%)
 9 (11.3%)
- 1 or 2
 2 (2.5%)
- 3 to 4
 13 (16.3%)
>-5
 14 (17.5%)
I didn't take any practice tests.
 12 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?  (Read 38639 times)

dinner

• View Profile
Re: The Little Old Lady
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »

Speaking of virgins/whores, here it is a joke:

Jesus came upon a small crowd who had surrounded a young woman they believed to be an adulteress. They were preparing to stone her to death.

To calm the situation, Jesus said: "Whoever is without sin among you, let them cast the first stone."

Suddenly, an old lady at the back of the crowd picked up a huge rock and lobbed it at the young woman, scoring a direct hit on her head. The unfortunate young lady collapsed dead on the spot.

Jesus looked over towards the old lady and said: "Mum, sometimes you really piss me off."

On the Internet the joke's last line goes, "Mom, sometimes you really piss me off." Would you claim ownership of a new joke by having made the modification?

phaslee

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »

On the Internet the joke's last line goes, "Mom, sometimes you really piss me off." Would you claim ownership of a new joke by having made the modification?

HAHAHA - I know what you mean, dinner! 

;)

footfite

• View Profile
Mireille!
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »

ca r l e s s

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Congressional Page Program Should Be Terminated?
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »

Here it is some real tangoo, Cell Block Tango, from "Chicago"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCZEmfnE-M&feature=related

And here it is some even more real tango :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78a2NYmgGZI

God Bless you, footfite, for posting Mireille's Der Pariser!
il n'y a pas de hors-texte

Sun M Patinka

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

Oh please, don't get me started with Britney Spears - she's an idiot! Why do you blame the culture - she knew what she's getting into! They don't say in vain, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

I beg your pardon, tropez?

Miliga

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

The generation of Mireille Mathieu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZWCuTRs5Sc&feature=related

Ah Acropolis! Such a great place to visit! I've been only once in Greece (my brother used to live there) and I surely did take advantage to visit it! I can safely say that Athens is famous mostly because of Acropolis and its ancient history! When I immigrated to the US (my brother got me and several others to the US on a special C visas :) all the people at my work was jealous I had been in Athens! 

Right on the money, mimosa! I am an Asian - being thus not familiar with the Western culture - but Acropolis is simply marvellous, indeed!

Walter Ego

• View Profile
Dancing
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

Hmm, the motive of the famous Greek sirtaki -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMW1Z1FiTo&feature=related

Indeed, it's all about the feet! Dancing is all about the feet! Taking care of our feet is one of the most commonly overlooked aspects of personal health, despite being one the most important assets we own. Common complaints that affect dancers include rubbing shoes, tired, aching feet and foot pain. It is very important to to wear the right footwear. Different sports can require slightly different types of training shoe, the same applies to different types of dancing. Ill-fitting dance shoes can lead to numerous foot problems that can affect your dancing and enjoyment.

1) Sesamoiditis

Sesamoiditis is a condition affects the ball of the foot. Specifically, Sesamoiditis refers to the irritation of the sesamoid bones (tiny bones that lead to the big toe), which can become irritated and possibly fractured each time you push off the ground with the toes.

2) Foot blisters

A blister is a bubble of fluid under the outer layer of skin. The fluid may be clear or filled with blood or pus. There are many possible causes of blisters including a burn, disease, an allergic reaction, or from your skin rubbing against something.

3) Corns & Calluses

Corns and calluses develop when normal skin activity is over-stimulated resulting in a thickening layer of skin. This over-stimulation can result from congenital, hormonal, occupational & infective factors.

4) Over Pronation

Pes planus otherwise termed as flat feet is a biomechanical problem, where the arch of the foot appears flattened. This causes the foot to roll inwards in order to gain contact with the floor and support the weight of the body.

5) Sweaty Feet

Feet contain 250,000 sweat glands that constantly secrete moisture to keep feet moist, supple and healthy. However many feet are prone to excessive sweating, which can lead to irritable feet.

6) Heel Pain

Heel Pain Syndrome is caused by repetitive pressure placed on the heel of the foot when walking, which causes soreness of the heel. Three types of heel pain include Bursitis, Plantar Fasciitis and General Heel Pain Syndrome.

7) Metatarsalgia

The metatarsal region refers to the ball of the foot. Metatarsalgia is a burning sensation in the ball of the foot that can be either mild or severe, and can sometimes be a recurring problem.

8 ) Athletes Foot

Athlete's foot is a fungal infection that usually appears between the toes, however the infection can affect any part of the foot or toenail.

9) Shin Splints

Shin splints can cause pain in the front lower leg due to minor tearing of the anterior muscle (muscle between mid-foot and knee) from the shin bone. There are two types of shin splints: Anterior Shin Splints, located in the tibia (front portion of shin) and posterior Shin Splints, located on the medial (inside) part of the tibia.

10) Achilles Tendonitis

The Achilles tendon is a large tendon that joins with the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle, and inserts into the calcaneous (heel bone) at the back of the leg. Achilles tendonitis is where the tendon becomes inflamed or begins to degenerate.
There is no Santa Claus. I'm Santa Claus.

F1A

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »
Walter, thanks for posting that stuff! Looks like they don't say in vain, "What is life if not the dance?"

becka

• View Profile
Rare blue diamond sells for record $9.5 million
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »

Cut is considered by some appraisers to be the most important one out of the 4Cs.

The word "cut" actually refers to two different traits: 1) overall shape and 2) the make -- how well the shape is cut, including proportions, finish, and symmetry. On this page we will discuss how the basic shape of a diamond significantly affects the price. The primary wholesale price list (published monthly as the Rapaport Diamond Report gives prices for 3 shapes.  Rounds and marquise shapes have their own unique price charts, while the charts for pear shapes are used for all other shapes.

BTW, The Rapaport Diamond Report is the monthly wholesale diamond price list used by dealers worldwide to keep up with changing market prices. But the list is not easy to use, in fact, most stores use the list incorrectly and pass their ignorance on to consumers when they sell stones. The Rapaport Diamond Report is intended for use in all situations in the diamond market. It is used by new, one-time buyers in New York City looking for a single stone, and it is also used by dealers who trade in millions of carats every year. So the prices on the Rapaport list are high cash asking prices used as the starting point for negotiations. Different dealers can buy at different discounts from this list. These discounts are the key. If your dealer is well-connected, he can buy at better discounts. If he is efficient and keeps costs down, he can offer you a diamond at such a good price that it's almost like buying wholesale.

http://wholesalediamonds.pricescope.com/

But it is complicated. Every shape sells at different discounts. Some shapes are not discounted at all. And these days, the cut grade of a diamond can make a huge difference in the discounts. Ideal cuts can actually sell for more than Rap, even to a dealer in the case of a super-ideal, which is what we call stones that have hearts and arrow patterns.

A Sotheby's employee displays a rare vivid blue diamond ring weighing 7.03 carats, during a preview at Sotheby's in Geneva, Switzerland, Wednesday, May 6, 2009. It is estimated to fetch US$5.8 to 8.5 million when it comes to auction in Geneva on May 12, at which point the buyer will have the honor of naming the diamond as the first owner of the stone.

GENEVA (Reuters) A flawless vivid blue diamond weighing 7.03 carats sold Tuesday for a record 10.5 million Swiss francs ($9.49 million), the highest price paid per carat for any gemstone at auction, Sotheby's said. The rectangular-shaped blue stone, the rarest to enter the international market this year, went to an anonymous buyer bidding by telephone after hectic bidding see-sawed between two callers for 15 minutes. It was the centrepiece of its semi-annual sale in Geneva, conducted by David Bennett, chairman of Sotheby's jewelry department in Europe and the Middle East, who said the results showed the market's resilience despite the economic downturn.

"This is already a new world record price for a fancy vivid blue diamond and a new world record per carat for any gemstone (at auction)," Bennett told reporters. "It is fantastic in this market and shows that these rare things are very much in demand," he said. The final price includes a commission paid by the buyer to the auction house. The stone sets a record price per carat for any gemstone sold at auction of $1,349,752, Sotheby's said. The previous record price for a fancy vivid blue diamond was $7.9 million, including commission, for a stone weighing 6.04 carats at sale in Hong Kong in October 2007, also by Sotheby's. The new owner will have the right to name the stone, which is mounted in a platinum ring. The pre-sale catalog estimate was 6.8 million to 10 million francs, excluding commission. The hammer price excluding commission was 9.3 million francs.

It was put up for sale by London-listed Petra Diamonds, which extracted it last year from the historic Cullinan mine in South Africa, the world's most regular supplier of blue diamonds of size and quality. Blue are the rarest of the diamond family after reds. "To have a stone mined last year and cut the early part of this year so it is absolutely virgin coming straight from the mine has never happened before," Bennett said. "This is one of the extremely rare substances in our universe." The sale fetched a total of 39.5 million swiss francs ($35.7 million) for 266 lots which found new owners, while another 80 pieces were stranded on the block. "In this general economic environment to see $35 million worth sold in a session shows a lot about the resilience of fine jewels no matter what the climate," Bennett said. Fresh stones to the market, including coloured diamonds, fetched good prices, the Briton said.

Routing No.

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »

Speaking of virgins/whores, here it is a joke:

Jesus came upon a small crowd who had surrounded a young woman they believed to be an adulteress. They were preparing to stone her to death.

To calm the situation, Jesus said: "Whoever is without sin among you, let them cast the first stone."

Suddenly, an old lady at the back of the crowd picked up a huge rock and lobbed it at the young woman, scoring a direct hit on her head. The unfortunate young lady collapsed dead on the spot.

Jesus looked over towards the old lady and said: "Mum, sometimes you really piss me off."

Hahaha - you're so funny! ;)