Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Leews at top 10 school  (Read 5286 times)

wardwilliams

Re: Leews at top 10 school
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 08:28:21 PM »
You should be done with all your cases, outlining, etc. at least 3 weeks prior to study period prior to exams.

Vera :)

So we should be done everything like next week?  This seems a bit ambitious.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »
3 weeks is a bit much...BUT its not off by much, IMO.

By Thanksgiving, ideally, you want to be up to date on everything.  You hopefully have not fallen behind on your reading.   Reading ahead more than a lecture or two is NOT a good idea, especially first year, as its easy to forget concepts you read but hadn't discussed in class, forget cases, etc.  Being current is more than good enough.

Your outlines should be current w/ your classes, so the day after your last class, your outline is complete.  If you're current on this stuff, you can start focusing in earnest on practice exams, and spend the entire last week or so of class and whatever reading period you have really refining your understanding and application of the material.

Being completely done with everything is a tall order, as you haven't even finished class 3 weeks before finals begin.

As for LEEWS, get to it right away.  Its meant to be done in a day or two, although it can get tedious.  At the very, very least, start it now and try to get it done in a week.

I know this is pretty different from what the other poster said.  All I can say is that as a 2L, it worked for very well for me.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »
I am only a 1L, so I can only judge by what happened during mid-terms. I do read ahead, actually...I am done with my casebooks and have done casebriefs for all of them with the help of Loislaw online briefs.

The one thing that was/is important to me is to get the "big picture" the overlying structure. Also, I do retain the cases though when we are in class, I gain more knowledge.

Many of the students in my classes are really confused, especially in Contracts.

Our casebook started:
Ch1 - defenses (fraud, duress)
Ch2 - started with some more defenses, then moved into consideration, estoppel, restitution
Ch3 - offer & acceptance (bilateral, unilateral and U.C.C. all mixed in)
Ch4 - Revocation, Estoppel (some more of it), R2nd 45, 87, etc. Merchant Firm Offer, Statute of Frauds
Ch5 - Parole Evidence Rule (and other stuff)
Ch6 - Consideration (again)

The book jumps all over the place. Once I read the cases and reviewed, I finally was able to put things into perspective and sort it out...all we did was Contract Formation and Defenses. Once I figured out what was what, I was on my way. Having the big picture helps in learning the material, it is like seeing the forest and not just getting lost looking that the trees.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

lwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 01:03:03 PM »
Just about done with the audio recording - the last 4 CDs are more helpful than the first 4 in my opinion..

I'm curious - for those of you who did the program, did you also use LEEWS method for briefing & outlining? Was it helpful?

Thanks!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 12:36:35 PM »
I just finished leews, i'm not sure how helpfull it will be, I am glad I did it, I mean any new and exciting ways to learn the law and conquer the exam is helpful. Sometimes though, leews seemed a bit confusing. One aspect of the CD really suprised me though, that was around disc 4 or 5, when we found the what he called "the golden nugget second assault" If you've done leews you know what I mean. I will always remember that now, and at least now I can be more nitpickey in analyzing issues. haha
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

lwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 10:25:07 PM »
I'm curious - for those of you who did the program, did you also use LEEWS method for briefing & outlining? Was it helpful?