Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Leews at top 10 school  (Read 5395 times)

uncommon

• View Profile
    • Email
Leews at top 10 school
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
Is LEEWS worth it?  I am a 1L at a top 10 school and want to know if any other folks at top schools found LEEWS helpful.  I'm having a hard time telling from other posters if a dislike of LEEWS stems from the school they go to, not applying it correctly (or not trying), or something else.

Thanks.

starter

• View Profile
Re: Leews at top 10 school
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:08:49 PM »
Why does it matter what school you attend?  Do you think LEEWS is just for the people at lower tiered schools?

uncommon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »
No, sorry if I sounded like a prick there.  I certainly don't think LEEWS is just for people at lower tiered schools.  I wouldn't be considering paying $100+ for it if I thought that. 

People are rather vague when they say why LEEWS is a waste of time and money.  Is it because they didn't really do the program?  Is it because their school teaches differently?  Is it because the things LEEWS teaches are obvious or impractical?

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
Is LEEWS worth it?  I am a 1L at a top 10 school and want to know if any other folks at top schools found LEEWS helpful.  I'm having a hard time telling from other posters if a dislike of LEEWS stems from the school they go to, not applying it correctly (or not trying), or something else.

Thanks.

I sure hope it's worth it, I just ordered it  ;)

It would take a transfer student to tell us for sure if LEEWS is more effective at "top schools," but something tells me the answer's no. 

beer gunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
No, sorry if I sounded like a prick there.  I certainly don't think LEEWS is just for people at lower tiered schools.  I wouldn't be considering paying $100+ for it if I thought that. 

People are rather vague when they say why LEEWS is a waste of time and money.  Is it because they didn't really do the program?  Is it because their school teaches differently?  Is it because the things LEEWS teaches are obvious or impractical?

I just got it on ebay for $10 - for the books and tapes - entire package.
To drink a beer or not to drink a beer, was that the question?

OL - 3rd tier

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
I posted on the other thread too. I took LEEWS and Fleming's Exam Writing Workshop. I did LEEWS as a CD set and then took Fleming's live (though you can take it as a CD workshop too). Fleming's spends 4 hours going over the similar techniques as LEEWS, but then there are 8 hours of practice writing of exams that are real exams. To me that was hugely helpful. I know that there is writing in LEEWS too, but the hypos are mixed in terms of topics (i.e. contract law with torts). The Fleming's ones are more "real". Also, they debrief the exams in terms of how to do the outline right, how to write the exam right...debriefing what important issues there were...etc.

It really helped me write. My law school has mid-terms, they only count toward 10% of the grade, but still. If it had not been for me taking the class, I would have been in a heap of trouble. It is also helping me for my legal writing class. (I am not at a top tier school.)

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 09:44:05 AM »
Okay --- I got my exams back. I got an "A-" in contracts and a "B-" in torts (because I misread the call of the question - there were three and one I misread. Had I not done that, I would have ended up with an "A-" also).

I am going to stick to what I did for mid-terms for finals prep. The only thing is that finals also include multiple choice questions. I have the Q&A series and I also have access to CALI for that.

I think that in addition to learning the structure of exam writing, you need to also work past exams from your individual professors. My torts and contracts professor wanted different structures and wanted different things in their exams (i.e. my contracts professor wanted case names in the exam). So write some practice exams and meet with your professors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

lwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:29:33 PM »
Okay --- I got my exams back. I got an "A-" in contracts and a "B-" in torts (because I misread the call of the question - there were three and one I misread. Had I not done that, I would have ended up with an "A-" also).

I am going to stick to what I did for mid-terms for finals prep. The only thing is that finals also include multiple choice questions. I have the Q&A series and I also have access to CALI for that.

I think that in addition to learning the structure of exam writing, you need to also work past exams from your individual professors. My torts and contracts professor wanted different structures and wanted different things in their exams (i.e. my contracts professor wanted case names in the exam). So write some practice exams and meet with your professors.

Hi Vera,

I have LEEWS too and I am planning on using it for my finals. Can you tell me how you worked through the audio program? How many sittings, how many hours per sitting? Also, I have finals in about 5 weeks - when should I start?

Thanks! :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
YOu should've started a few weeks ago.  Do it asap.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 05:50:57 PM »
I did the LEEWS before I started law school. I gave myself a week to work through the program. Miller is kind of lengthy in explaining whereas the primer sums it up in a few pages.

You need to start NOW (or yesterday as the other posting mentioned).

You need to work the final exams now. Get them from your law school's library or online (we have ours on the email system).

Even if you have not covered all the subjects, you can work parts of them and compare your answer to the model answers. For example, we are doing Negligence in torts right now. We have covered duty and breach, so I am writing on those two issues for the practice exams.

Also, don't just keep up with your reading. You need to work ahead. You should be done with all your cases, outlining, etc. at least 3 weeks prior to study period prior to exams. Then you can really focus on writing practice exams for more time than the study period.