Law School Discussion

Leews at top 10 school

Leews at top 10 school
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
Is LEEWS worth it?  I am a 1L at a top 10 school and want to know if any other folks at top schools found LEEWS helpful.  I'm having a hard time telling from other posters if a dislike of LEEWS stems from the school they go to, not applying it correctly (or not trying), or something else.

Thanks.

Re: Leews at top 10 school
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
Why does it matter what school you attend?  Do you think LEEWS is just for the people at lower tiered schools?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »
No, sorry if I sounded like a prick there.  I certainly don't think LEEWS is just for people at lower tiered schools.  I wouldn't be considering paying $100+ for it if I thought that. 

People are rather vague when they say why LEEWS is a waste of time and money.  Is it because they didn't really do the program?  Is it because their school teaches differently?  Is it because the things LEEWS teaches are obvious or impractical?

galex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »
Is LEEWS worth it?  I am a 1L at a top 10 school and want to know if any other folks at top schools found LEEWS helpful.  I'm having a hard time telling from other posters if a dislike of LEEWS stems from the school they go to, not applying it correctly (or not trying), or something else.

Thanks.

I sure hope it's worth it, I just ordered it  ;)

It would take a transfer student to tell us for sure if LEEWS is more effective at "top schools," but something tells me the answer's no. 

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »
No, sorry if I sounded like a prick there.  I certainly don't think LEEWS is just for people at lower tiered schools.  I wouldn't be considering paying $100+ for it if I thought that. 

People are rather vague when they say why LEEWS is a waste of time and money.  Is it because they didn't really do the program?  Is it because their school teaches differently?  Is it because the things LEEWS teaches are obvious or impractical?

I just got it on ebay for $10 - for the books and tapes - entire package.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 02:29:33 PM »
Okay --- I got my exams back. I got an "A-" in contracts and a "B-" in torts (because I misread the call of the question - there were three and one I misread. Had I not done that, I would have ended up with an "A-" also).

I am going to stick to what I did for mid-terms for finals prep. The only thing is that finals also include multiple choice questions. I have the Q&A series and I also have access to CALI for that.

I think that in addition to learning the structure of exam writing, you need to also work past exams from your individual professors. My torts and contracts professor wanted different structures and wanted different things in their exams (i.e. my contracts professor wanted case names in the exam). So write some practice exams and meet with your professors.

Vera :)

Hi Vera,

I have LEEWS too and I am planning on using it for my finals. Can you tell me how you worked through the audio program? How many sittings, how many hours per sitting? Also, I have finals in about 5 weeks - when should I start?

Thanks! :)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
YOu should've started a few weeks ago.  Do it asap.

wardwilliams

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 06:28:21 PM »
You should be done with all your cases, outlining, etc. at least 3 weeks prior to study period prior to exams.

Vera :)

So we should be done everything like next week?  This seems a bit ambitious.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:39:31 PM »
3 weeks is a bit much...BUT its not off by much, IMO.

By Thanksgiving, ideally, you want to be up to date on everything.  You hopefully have not fallen behind on your reading.   Reading ahead more than a lecture or two is NOT a good idea, especially first year, as its easy to forget concepts you read but hadn't discussed in class, forget cases, etc.  Being current is more than good enough.

Your outlines should be current w/ your classes, so the day after your last class, your outline is complete.  If you're current on this stuff, you can start focusing in earnest on practice exams, and spend the entire last week or so of class and whatever reading period you have really refining your understanding and application of the material.

Being completely done with everything is a tall order, as you haven't even finished class 3 weeks before finals begin.

As for LEEWS, get to it right away.  Its meant to be done in a day or two, although it can get tedious.  At the very, very least, start it now and try to get it done in a week.

I know this is pretty different from what the other poster said.  All I can say is that as a 2L, it worked for very well for me.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 11:03:03 AM »
Just about done with the audio recording - the last 4 CDs are more helpful than the first 4 in my opinion..

I'm curious - for those of you who did the program, did you also use LEEWS method for briefing & outlining? Was it helpful?

Thanks!