Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking the LSAT w/o a prep course  (Read 553 times)

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
Taking the LSAT w/o a prep course
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how many people took the LSAT without having to go to a prep. course? If so, what are some tips you have for people that are in the same situation and want to take the test within a year?

Thanks,

Rosa

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the LSAT w/o a prep course
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:57:11 PM »
Go to the prelaw board.

rvill7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »
Thanks I just thought law students who went through this would have better insight.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »
hmm i took the lsat without a prep course. my experience: i was averaging well into the 99th percentile on the practice tests (over 20 or so tests) which i was taking in a familiar, quiet, and comfortable setting. when i took the actual, my score dropped some, and i ended up around the 96th percentile or so. why the drop? i was pretty damn nervous on test day. i think that maybe a prep course would have helped with the test day anxiety, but probably not much with actual test taking technique. i guess it's a personal thing. you killing the test as is? do you have nerves of steel? or do u feel lost, etc.?

DreamUnique

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »
Hi, Rosa,

I didn't take a prep course when I prepared for the LSAT. I prepared for the test in 5-7 months by purchasing and taking old exams (several times) and working through Kaplan LSAT. My approach to studying was looking for trends in the questions. I isolated the trends, learned the approaches, then retook the exams. Once I was able to recognize the trends, I focused on my speed.

HTH
Shanelle

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how many people took the LSAT without having to go to a prep. course? If so, what are some tips you have for people that are in the same situation and want to take the test within a year?

Thanks,

Rosa

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »
Thanks I just thought law students who went through this would have better insight.

There will be people on the prelaw board who took the June LSAT, plus you can search for similar threads that cover this in exhaustive detail.  It really is the best place to look for this sort of information.

I didn't take a prep course.  I read the first chapter of the Logic Games Bible and did a couple of practice tests. I did okay, but I'm sure I would have scored higher with more practice tests.  The prep course seems like it would be a waste of money, and it might stress you out even more. 

When are you taking the test?

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
I signed up for Kaplan but figured I could do it on my own so canceled. I ened up buying the three Official PrepTest books (30 tests total) and doing most of them, starting with the newer ones, bought Master the LSAT and the Powerscore Reasoning book. Just map out a study plan using whatever materials you feel you need. You'll definately need a lot of preptests. Master the LSAT maps out a great study plan based on the amount of time you have. 4-8 weeks I believe it was. Good luck. Like people said, I would go to the prelaw board for more info/support...