Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Evening Students - Work or no work?  (Read 1036 times)

evergreatful

• View Profile
1L Evening Students - Work or no work?
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:51:27 AM »
This is for the 1L evening students. How many of you work? In my class most students do and I'm starting to feel like a bum for not working. Unfortunately I wasn't offered a seat for days so I took the evening offer. A friend of mine at the same school had the same problem and tranfered into days (my hope). Anyway I'm just really curious how many E students at other schools have jobs.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Evening Students - Work or no work?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
At my school, I'd estimate that about 80% of the evening 1L students worked. I did.

I won't say that you SHOULD get a job, but I can tell you that you are almost universally loathed by those who do work in your class. Everybody is cordial, but the class was pretty split in who hung out with whom - working with working, and non-working with non-working.

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
At my school, I'd estimate that about 80% of the evening 1L students worked. I did.

I won't say that you SHOULD get a job, but I can tell you that you are almost universally loathed by those who do work in your class. Everybody is cordial, but the class was pretty split in who hung out with whom - working with working, and non-working with non-working.

I can definately see those type of dynamics being created at my school. I had dinner with some E students last Friday, 1 of which didn't work and there was the sense from the ones that did that they didn't approve. Hence the comment "people need to understand that the only way some people can go to law/graduate school is by working FT." It's just frustrating and anoying.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »
I'm also a 1L evening. I would guess around 25% in my classes are working (pt or ft). Actually, that might even be generous. Very few people stay in the evening program after the first year.

jhb241

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:31:17 AM »
Yeah, same here. VERY few people in my Evening division are working. I'm not sure if this is how they planned it all along, or it's just because it's 1L and they need the time to adjust.....

Quite frankly, I really don't know how some people are working and doing law school. I'm not, and I find myself to be extremely busy nonetheless.

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
The evening student with no job is often not a very appealing candidate to a law firm recruiter -- particularly a firm that expects attorneys to work long hours to maintain billables.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:24:07 AM »
I work full-time, and I'd say about 1/3-1/2 of my class does as well. I don't worry about it all that much. Sure, they have more time to study than I do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they study more than me. I just focus on doing the best I can do.
Georgetown

burger king university

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »
I work 3 days a week.  I would say 50-75% of my class works.  I think not working at all would make my overall work load a little light.  I've also heard that firms don't like to hire evening students who don't work. 

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 01:47:34 PM »
I work 3 days a week.  I would say 50-75% of my class works.  I think not working at all would make my overall work load a little light.  I've also heard that firms don't like to hire evening students who don't work. 

I'm sure they don't as it can show laziness or lack of drive to moany employers and others. But it's not like it is actually "part-time" schooling. I'm taking 11 credits, or 4 classes, as opposed to the 15 credits, or 5 classes, that the "full-time" day students take. The ABA recommends that full-time students don't work AT ALL. So I just get frustrated when people think part-time students who don't work are complete bums when in reality it's one less class. That's just my personal take. That is in no way meant to undermine those who have to work FT to support a family, spouse, children, etc. Most members of my families who are attorney's had to do it through night shcool.

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:46:56 PM »
I'm sure they don't as it can show laziness or lack of drive to moany employers and others. But it's not like it is actually "part-time" schooling. I'm taking 11 credits, or 4 classes, as opposed to the 15 credits, or 5 classes, that the "full-time" day students take. The ABA recommends that full-time students don't work AT ALL. So I just get frustrated when people think part-time students who don't work are complete bums when in reality it's one less class. That's just my personal take. That is in no way meant to undermine those who have to work FT to support a family, spouse, children, etc. Most members of my families who are attorney's had to do it through night shcool.

Although it is one less class, evening students who do not work are frowned on by legal employers.  Love it or hate it, that is the nature of the game.  As it is, even five classes as a day student is really not that hard to deal with. 4 classes as a part-time student is a borderline joke when compared to the 10-12 hour days that big firm attorneys are expected to work. Therein also lies the implicit advantage that evening students who do work full time have over all other students. If you work, and do well in four classes a semester, it shows an employer who are willing and able to work long hard hours AND succeed.