Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 6 weeks in.  (Read 1763 times)

JohnnyAwesome

6 weeks in.
« on: October 02, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
So i read all of these posts about how the new 1L's hate law school and are questioning their decision to go and have lives filled with misery, and I just don't feel that way at all, and to be honest with you, I don't personally know of many people who do. I read posts about lawyers and other law students telling people not to come to law school it's a huge mistake but I don't get that from alumni at my school, (and i go to a t4 school).  Sure the work load is heavy and the classes are hard, but isn't that what you signed up for when going to law school. It just seems that the people here have been great, i've developed a core group of friends that i hang out with all the time and they pretty much are enjoying themselves as well, i mean we gripe about having to study for 6 hours a day, or when memos have to be written or our tuesday classes which is three doctrinal classes consecutively,  but we also go out to the bar together all the time and i play soccer and rugby with a lot of the guys on the weekends for our school. I just want to know why i feel like i'm the only one on the board who seems to enjoy this, i know people will call me a moron or crazy for what i'm saying, but you're the people who aren't enjoying your life and i am, so i'd rather be happy and crazy then miserable and pissed off.

AlFitz614

• View Profile
Re: 6 weeks in.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
I too am enjoying law school, and don't know that many people that are not. I just think it comes down to the fact that you hear alot more from people who don't like something, then people who do.

But then again, I'm only a month in, we'll see how I feel a year from now.

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:26:52 PM »
I did not mind law school but studying for the bar is horrible.  Luckily I passed the first time after doing barbri and pmbr.  I am glad to hear you guys are doing good in 1st year, that is by far the hardest until the bar.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
Personally, I dislike law school and can't wait to get out in the field. However I've heard from a few people that they actually went out more during law school and had a better time during LS than undergrad. If you wen't to a remotely fun university, I don't get how that's possible, but more power to everyone enjoying it this far.

O.B. Wan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »
I am also 6 weeks in now and enjoying it.  This is law school, it is a lot of work, but it really isn't that terribly difficult; just time consuming.  Overall, I definitely wouldnt say it is fun, but it is interesting.  I think it is safe to say, most people that truley hate it or are unhappy, have never had a real job.  Or at least never had a job bad enough to let them appreciate law school. 

Most of them had it easy, parents pay for everything, and school was their only concern in undergrad.  Now they are in law school and upset because they dont have any free time.  Those of us that worked full time during undergrad, taking 15hrs a semester; this is easy.  School is the only thing we have to worry about.

Im also curious about those who are miserable, who is paying the bills?  I cannot imagine why if someone hates something that bad, they would spend so much money, rather than drop out after the first semester or year.

Then there are those students, who are just continuing the family legacy of going to law school.  Its obvious they dont want to be here.  They are the ones who ask the stupid questions, think the defendant in the case is the uncle, when it stated the uncle is dead; and think implied contracts "aren't right" because they are not going to be obligated to pay someone for mowing their yard, if they did not request it.  It is totally ridiculous at times.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
O.B. Wan you make some good points, I fit into your catagory, I worked full time during undergrad and usually carried an overload in class.  I also had a job between junior and senior year that could never been better than the worst school week imaginable.  Good points however. 

As for studying for the bar, You're right I bet that does suck, I think about an entire semester for one class in one test I don't want to consider an entire 3 year program in one class, but It's the last big test I may ever take in my life, and it will be glorious for that simple reason alone.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 11:57:43 PM »
I'm 8 weeks in now and I love it.  It is such an intellectual challenge.  Then again, unlike a lot of people, I've come back to school after 6 years in the working world teaching special education.  6 years away from school can really make you crave a mental challenge again.
So far it hasn't really been that bad.  It is a lot of work, but it isn't unbearable.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:30:14 AM »
 I'm really enjoying my classes. I find the material itself interesting, and I like being in class. My only anxieties are wondering if I'm studying enough, if I'm studying efficiently, if I'm learning what I need to learn, etc.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:16 AM »
I'm really enjoying my classes as well. My professors are engaging and I like the material. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm actually loving law school itself. I've been out of undergrad for quite a while and go to a school with very few nontrads, so sometimes I find it a bit hard to relate to the students who have never really worked a real job before.

MacDonaldTrifecta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:18:18 AM »
I am about to graduate .. I can tell you, law school was hard, challenging, but I have to thank my professors and law school for one thing: Thank You For Teaching Me How To Lie. Persuasively So.