Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CA Bar Prep Recommendations?  (Read 6739 times)

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
CA Bar Prep Recommendations?
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:31:20 AM »
OK...I'm getting ready to plunk down the money for a bar prep course.

I'm an evening student who works full time during the day.  I'm finishing my last semester right now.  Taking the Feb 2007 CA bar exam.  For bar prep, I'm looking primarily at options that are well established, and have CDs available for home-study of at least the substantive material (I work/live about 1 hour north of LA, and want the CDs to use on my long drives to school).  So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

1.  Barbri (w/CDs)
2.  Barpassers (w/CDs)
3.  Professor Schmidt (LECC) -- local program with pretty good rep.  He'll let me use the CDs or the live lecture, not both.

I'm leaning toward Barpassers right now, because the materials seem comparable to Barbri, with flowcharts added in to boot.  Anybody have experience with these, or informed opinions about them?

Thanks.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CA Bar Prep Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »
Hey aero2law...

It's been a long time since I've been on this site.  I believe we emailed before.
Anyway, I am leaning towards BarPassers too.  They have an iPod option that allows you to view the lectures anytime and anywhere.  I don't know about you but I am tired of going to classes.  BarPassers' flow charts are great.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 02:29:51 AM »
Rez -

I took the Feb 2007 CA bar exam.  I just found out I passed today.  For bar prep, I went with LECC (professor Schmitt from Southwestern Law School).  I'm very pleased with the results, especially since I was working full-time during the bar prep period.  Schmitt has an abrasive personality (he's actually just a ham), but his outlines are outstanding, and he teaches a very practical approach to writing the exam.

Good luck on the bar.

Hey aero2law...

It's been a long time since I've been on this site.  I believe we emailed before.
Anyway, I am leaning towards BarPassers too.  They have an iPod option that allows you to view the lectures anytime and anywhere.  I don't know about you but I am tired of going to classes.  BarPassers' flow charts are great.

Anyway, just my $0.02.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »
Anyone do BarBri California? I've taken the bar (and BarBri) in another state and want to take CA; I'm wondering if studying the BarBri books on my own is enough.

jason1970s

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 11:01:55 PM »
My results still aren't out, but as far as Bar/Bri goes, I think the books have everything you need to know in them.  However, there is no individual attention.  You'll have to force yourself to write practice answers under pressure.

It's kind of like law school exams, we're you'll have to condense the Bar/Bri material into something manageable first.  There's a LOT of it!  Overall I was happy with Bar/Bri.  Repost in a week and I'll have more of an opinion about it.

Oh yeah, PMBR is a total waste.  Just get the books.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Personally, I thought PMBR was useful.

I've got the CA BarBri materials. Planning on just going it alone with those. And yes, it's the forcing myself to get going with it that's the tough part.

So, CA is out. Any opinion now?