Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Married and older students do better?  (Read 687 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Married and older students do better?
« on: September 28, 2006, 10:14:11 PM »
I have heard from others, and from looking at our law review members, that older students and married students tend to do better in law school.  Is this true in your experience?  If so, why do you think this is?

gibbsale

• View Profile
Re: Married and older students do better?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 11:36:03 PM »
It varied.  I knew a lot of people in the top 25% who did well who were either married, engaged or were in long-term monogamous relationships. Then there were those of us who were single. I think it would be hard to find a correlation.

As I am no longer single, I can tell you that it definitely cuts into study time on the weekends, which can't be a good thing.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:22:53 AM »
It might cut into your weekend study time, but are you also getting more done during the week? 

I'd say that there is a slight correlation to being older and/or married in law school, but its not a guarantee or anything.  First, you're time management is likely to be better; you won't just put stuff off till the weekend when you have plans to spend time with your SO; or perhaps you've worked a full-time+ job for a few years.

Second, you're not as concerned with going out and drinking a few times a week.  With an SO at home, or if you're beyond your "party years" it may just not be an interest.  Drinking and hangovers really tend to eat into study time.

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 07:52:06 AM »
I think it helps overall to be married.  My wife takes care of all the domestic stuff which frees me to be law school guy.  In return, I remodeled our kitchen this past summer and spend every non-study minute with her.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:48:22 AM »
I think it just allows for a level of perspective that the typical straight-out-of-college type doesn't have.  If you're married and especially if you have kids, typically you don't care what your classmates think of you.  This isn't to say that you're not going to be friendly with them or anything like that, but you're certainly not constantly looking for acceptance or approval or a date.  I think the value of actually having a life is immeasurable.  It wouldn't surprise me if, on average, that results in higher grades.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?