Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Frustrated - Law Firm Offers  (Read 695 times)

mstiger

• View Profile
Frustrated - Law Firm Offers
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:33:22 AM »
I clerked at a law firm in Orlando, FL this summer.  It is a midsize firm (about 30 attorneys).  It went well and I was fairly sure that I would get an offer from the way that everyone was talking the last day when I went around the office to say thank-you.

One of the partners generally makes all phone calls and I was getting anxious when I got a call from his last Monday evening.  I wasn't there to answer my phone and he just left a message asking me to call him back.  I called back that very day - about less than an hour later - and left a message.  I called Tuesday and Wednesday but I wasn't able to reach him.  I called Thursday and left a message again.  I decided that e-mail might be a better way to reach him so I e-mailed him on Monday, just saying that I had tried calling him but couldn't get a hold of him and just told him generally when I am available.  He replied back to my e-mail saying that he will call me Tuesday evening.

It's now Thursday morning, and there is no word from him.  What is going on?

I know that the firm has not made any offers so far to any of the other summers.  Everyone that I have talked to seems to think that the way the partner has handled the situation is very unprofessional.

Any insight to what's going on or what I should do next?

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frustrated - Law Firm Offers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »
He's probably just busy. I wouldn't sweat it (easier said than done). It's fairly common not to give out an offer without offering it vocally first.

sharpchick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »
He's probably busy.  If you left messages every single day since Monday that might not look the best for you.  He'll call you back.

mstiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »
I doubt he knows that I called 4 days in a row b/c I only left messages twice.  I e-mailed then next week.

I talked to another summer who hasn't received any phone calls from him as of yet and she seems to think the firm is being very inconsiderate since it's now almost October and we haven't heard anything and have no idea what to expect.

I talked to one of my professors about it and he thought the firm's approach was really strange as well

I've been applying and interviewing, but nothing has really panned out.  I may apply for an LLM program.  I am really bummed. :(