Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racism Hurts  (Read 21792 times)

frisky

• View Profile
Re: Racism Hurts
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2006, 04:10:38 AM »

America doesn't @ # ! * i n g care to give that impression! It's minority members like Oprah and the like that conform to the system and therefore get "promoted" to majority status!

Way too many black women conform to the system but they don't get so easily "promoted to majority status," let alone earn millions like Oprah did ..
Always wear underwear.

netka

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 04:59:04 AM »

[...] that she was forced to go with close realtives at an early age or so we are told [...]

Are you somewhat suggesting she's made that up to sound interesting?

I can swallow down the cousin and the "family friend," but what about about the uncle thing?!

pixelaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2006, 11:45:56 PM »

Wildly popular among white viewers, "The Cosby Show" helped fuel some of this sort of thinking during the Reagan era. As left culture critic Mark Crispin Miller noted in a 1986 essay titled "Cosby Knows Best," the affluent, hyper-consumerist, apolitical African-American Huxtable family -- headed by the affable, impish obstetrician Cliff (played by Dr. Cosby himself) -- functioned as "an ad, implicitly proclaiming the fairness of the American System: 'Look! [Cosby shows us] Even I can have all this!'" "On 'The Cosby show,'" Miller noted, "it appears as if blacks in general can have, and do have, what many whites enjoy and that such material equality need not entail a single break-in. And there are no hard feelings, none at all, now that the old injustices have been so easily rectified."

So America does care to give the impression it's not discriminating against n-word and the like?!

You can definitely think in these terms .. I mean, in Nazi Germany you had no chance whatsoever to rise in prominence if you're Jew, even if you supported Hitler's views 110% .. Any Jew Nazi Party members, anyone?

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
I find it interesting that Bill Cosby was offended by his portrayal in The House of Cosbys when black people were offended by their portrayal in The Cosby Show.

"He was a Cosby fan at heart...it's clear.
He searched and found a Cosby hair.
He spent 10 long years and built a cloning machine!
And now he's accomplished his wonderful dream.
To make a house of Cosbys...It's a House of Cosbys...."

asif

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2006, 01:23:15 AM »

So America does care to give the impression it's not discriminating against n-word and the like?!

You can definitely think in these terms .. I mean, in Nazi Germany you had no chance whatsoever to rise in prominence if you're Jew, even if you supported Hitler's views 110% .. Any Jew Nazi Party members, anyone?

Reinhard Heydrich.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,4878.msg41136.html#msg41136

triad

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »
hmm ...

ilove

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »

Reinhard Heydrich.

Posterity has sometimes portrayed him as the beau ideal of the racist Nazi fantasy, the fulfillment of the blond-haired blue-eyed Aryan dream. But one contemporary described Reinhard Tristan Heydrich in less flattering terms:

"He was a tall, impressive figure with a broad, unusually high forehead, small restless eyes as crafty as an animal's and of uncanny power, and a wide full-lipped mouth," wrote Walter Schellenberg, Heydrich's protege in the German intelligence service. "His hands were slender and rather too long -- they made one think of the legs of a spider. His splendid figure was marred by the breadth of his hips, a disturbingly feminine effect which made him appear even more sinister. His voice was much too high for so large a man and his speech was nervous and staccato."

Whatever the reality of his physical appearance, Heydrich was by all accounts brilliant, ruthless, sadistic and profoundly anti-Semitic. Determined to scale the heights of Nazi power, by the spring of 1942 he was well on his way. Second in command of the Schutzstaffel -- Heinrich Himmler's rapidly expanding security system  -- and Reichsprotektor of Bohemia-Moravia, he was responsible for creating a model SS state in which all Czechoslovak culture would be Germanicized and all Czechoslovak Jews "resettled" in the Eastern territories.

But on May 27, 1942, while riding in an open touring car from his home to his office, Heydrich was fatally wounded in a grenade attack by members of the Czechoslovak underground parachuted in by the British. It was an event so singular and so successful in its immediate objective that it has ever after posed the question why other major Nazi figures didn't suffer similar fates. In "The Killing of SS Obergruppenfuhrer Reinhard Heydrich," Callum MacDonald, a historian at the University of Warwick, England, has provided the most complete account to date of Heydrich's assassination. He has offered a portrait of the so-called Butcher of Prague that explains why Adolf Hitler admired him so and considered him a possible successor.

gejco

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2006, 06:45:46 AM »

I can swallow down the cousin and the "family friend," but what about about the uncle thing?!

You mean, the uncle is a close relative and she would not have included him in the list of her rapists, had she made the whole thing up?

TammySouza

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2006, 07:34:38 AM »
Exactly, gejco, I mean, unless they gangbanged her, I just can not see how she would get raped repeatedly (in three separate occasions) by family members -- I mean, c'mon, did she not tell anybody, didn't they take any measures to protect her from such rapists? Where are these three individuals today?

deja

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »
Tammy, if you're asking where "these individuals" are today to imply they should/could have been prosecuted, you've to take into account the statute of limitations issue (not sarcastic.)