Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racism Hurts  (Read 21575 times)

lbl

• View Profile
Re: Racism Hurts
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »
strange that you would get that in LA. my wife is asian and some kids starting making fun of her (trying to pretend to speak "asian") as she waited for her food (at a CHINESE restaurant). needless to say, it totally upset her. i went back to look for the kids but they were already gone. my wife is totally against affirmative action, but to say racism doesn't exist anymore is pretty ignorant. in any event, sorry to hear it happened, but your thinking is in line. you have more than that lady will ever have. if anything, feel sorry for her and her close-mindedness.

Just to let you guys know, you're all tools for falling into the Original poster's trap. He copied his bleeding heart story from the below link:

http://www.lawstudentparadise.com/forums/law-students-general-discussion/8272-racism-hurts.html

How do you know it's not that Original poster coming here to post his heart bleeding story?

bichemicaloxygen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:44:46 PM »
I agree with Secret99 -- it was not so wise on the poster's part to post his story there and possibly here .. I mean, he's a lawyer, he is not supposed to feel inferior for any reason whatsoever, let alone for his skin colour ..

mantel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »
biochemical, I do not think that story is true .. I mean, who would be that stupid to post it even if it were true .. the poster is just a troll trying to get peoples' attention ..

manday

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:55:15 PM »

biochemical, I do not think that story is true .. I mean, who would be that stupid to post it even if it were true .. the poster is just a troll trying to get peoples' attention ..

I don't know why you'd think that mantel, but it may well be that the guy felt so bad about it that he wanted to vent out his frustration .. that is why he posted his story, although -- or should I say, because -- it was so degrading for him .. he just couldn't keep it to himself ..

manday

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:56:26 PM »

And, youtube, are you being sarcastic or just realistic when posting this photo .. I really can not tell ...

venaporta

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »

[...] he is not supposed to feel inferior for any reason whatsoever, let alone for his skin colour ..

What do you mean, "let alone for his skin color"?! If there's anything one would feel inferior about it's his skin color -- when the latter is not white, of course ... So, the real question here I think is, "If you were to choose between being a rich black man (or is it a black rich man :) and an average white one, which would you choose to be?"

Soon2be1L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »
Well, if any of this is true, while I understand that the woman was racist in saying what she said to you and I also think she has a lot to learn- BUT I think you're being discriminatory as well.  The only facts you state about the woman is that she has blonde hair and drives a crappy car, yet you ASSUME she does not have a college education because she is blonde and drives a crappy car.  You're a hypocrite!  Discrimination comes in all forms and yes, while it's not racism that you've portrayed- it is still, most definitely discrimination based upon some judgmental attitude of your own.

Think about it.

aquaductusvestibuli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 09:55:18 PM »

Just yesterday, I was very happy with my life. Great job, great family, great friends, house ... But then something happened last night which completely changed my world. I was at a bar in West Hollywood where I got into a verbal argument with a blonde lady (she started it, I'm serious -- instead of saying 'excuse me', she just pushed me out of her way!). Now you know, two people at a bar, you know, tipsy, so an argument or two, not a big deal.

But what was different about this situation was that one of the involved parties (me) had dark skin. Just as I was about to walk away from the scene, the lady whispered this in my ear: "Why don't you go back to your county? We don't need you here!" This was such a big reality slap on my face that I was in absolute shock for about 10 minutes. I can do the best in law school, get a job at a great law firm, drive a fancy car ... but in the end, some lady at a bar, who most likely hasn't even set foot in college, can make a racist comment and completely destroy my confidence.

Well, to make the long story short, I, after a long time, faced such open racism and it has definitely affected the image I hold of myself. All I can say to this lady is, watch out! I'm an attorney and have so much to lose. But sooner or later, you are going to make a similar comment to a guy who is at your level (i.e. has nothing to lose) and he will not walk away from the scene. I guarantee it!

Sweet Revenge--> On a happier note, I ran into this lady after the bar closed. She was getting into her, oh lets just say, "crap" mobile. I, along with my friend, laughed out lound and yelled, "hey, you may not need me, but you definitely need a new car." LOL.

I would guess you're behaving like a lawyer with a sense of entitlement behaves ... you know, nobody likes arrogant people who think they can do whatever they want just because they drive a fancy car ... or because they happen to be lawyers, for that matter ... the blond lady simply could not swallow down that the person in front of her behaving like that was someone with dark skin; she could have probably kept her mouth shut had you been white, but she just could not understand how someone like you, who according to conventional wisdom is supposed to feel inferior, could act the way you were acting. So I agree with the previous poster, both of you were being discriminatory and divisive.

noel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 10:07:47 PM »
This guy is no better than she is ... look at what he says in a latter post,

To tell you the truth, this was not really an old lady. Perhaps in her early to mid-20s and here is the kicker -- she was playing pool with her Mexican friend

http://www.lawstudentparadise.com/forums/law-students-general-discussion/8272-racism-hurts.html#post122449

It's all evident he feels so bad he is not white ... too bad that despite being a lawyer and having money he cant whiten his dark skin just a little bit ...

heineken

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »

too bad that despite being a lawyer and having money he cant whiten his dark skin just a little bit ...

Well, Michael Jackson could ...