Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racism Hurts  (Read 21280 times)

beerlaw

• View Profile
Racism Hurts
« on: September 27, 2006, 06:28:21 PM »
Just yesterday, I was very happy with my life. Great job, great family, great friends, house ... But then something happened last night which completely changed my world. I was at a bar in West Hollywood where I got into a verbal argument with a blonde lady (she started it, I'm serious -- instead of saying 'excuse me', she just pushed me out of her way!). Now you know, two people at a bar, you know, tipsy, so an argument or two, not a big deal.

But what was different about this situation was that one of the involved parties (me) had dark skin. Just as I was about to walk away from the scene, the lady whispered this in my ear: "Why don't you go back to your county? We don't need you here!" This was such a big reality slap on my face that I was in absolute shock for about 10 minutes. I can do the best in law school, get a job at a great law firm, drive a fancy car ... but in the end, some lady at a bar, who most likely hasn't even set foot in college, can make a racist comment and completely destroy my confidence.

Well, to make the long story short, I, after a long time, faced such open racism and it has definitely affected the image I hold of myself. All I can say to this lady is, watch out! I'm an attorney and have so much to lose. But sooner or later, you are going to make a similar comment to a guy who is at your level (i.e. has nothing to lose) and he will not walk away from the scene. I guarantee it!

Sweet Revenge--> On a happier note, I ran into this lady after the bar closed. She was getting into her, oh lets just say, "crap" mobile. I, along with my friend, laughed out lound and yelled, "hey, you may not need me, but you definitely need a new car." LOL.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Racism Hurts
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:01:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity what is your race?

I think certain kinds of racism are worse than classic whites that are anti-black.

It's good that you handled it well.

980eQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:13:14 AM »
ya man, kudos on staying cool about her ignorance. There are people in this world that are just so ignorant that it makes ya want to stick your head in the deep fryer.... balls too...

valdas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:50:40 AM »

Just yesterday, I was very happy with my life. Great job, great family, great friends, house ... But then something happened last night which completely changed my world. I was at a bar in West Hollywood where I got into a verbal argument with a blonde lady (she started it, I'm serious -- instead of saying 'excuse me', she just pushed me out of her way!). Now you know, two people at a bar, you know, tipsy, so an argument or two, not a big deal.

But what was different about this situation was that one of the involved parties (me) had dark skin. Just as I was about to walk away from the scene, the lady whispered this in my ear: "Why don't you go back to your county? We don't need you here!" This was such a big reality slap on my face that I was in absolute shock for about 10 minutes. I can do the best in law school, get a job at a great law firm, drive a fancy car ... but in the end, some lady at a bar, who most likely hasn't even set foot in college, can make a racist comment and completely destroy my confidence.

Well, to make the long story short, I, after a long time, faced such open racism and it has definitely affected the image I hold of myself. All I can say to this lady is, watch out! I'm an attorney and have so much to lose. But sooner or later, you are going to make a similar comment to a guy who is at your level (i.e. has nothing to lose) and he will not walk away from the scene. I guarantee it!

Sweet Revenge--> On a happier note, I ran into this lady after the bar closed. She was getting into her, oh lets just say, "crap" mobile. I, along with my friend, laughed out lound and yelled, "hey, you may not need me, but you definitely need a new car." LOL.

What is an individual with darker skin like yourself doing at a bar in West Hollywood? Don't you think you shouldn't be there in the first place?

royalpain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:15:57 AM »

What is an individual with darker skin like yourself doing at a bar in West Hollywood?

*darker* skin ? shouln't that be *dark* as he said himself his skin is?

royalpain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:16:38 AM »

ya man, kudos on staying cool about her ignorance. There are people in this world that are just so ignorant that it makes ya want to stick your head in the deep fryer.... balls too...

;)

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
strange that you would get that in LA. my wife is asian and some kids starting making fun of her (trying to pretend to speak "asian") as she waited for her food (at a CHINESE restaurant). needless to say, it totally upset her. i went back to look for the kids but they were already gone. my wife is totally against affirmative action, but to say racism doesn't exist anymore is pretty ignorant. in any event, sorry to hear it happened, but your thinking is in line. you have more than that lady will ever have. if anything, feel sorry for her and her close-mindedness.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:04:56 PM »
strange that you would get that in LA. my wife is asian and some kids starting making fun of her (trying to pretend to speak "asian") as she waited for her food (at a CHINESE restaurant). needless to say, it totally upset her. i went back to look for the kids but they were already gone. my wife is totally against affirmative action, but to say racism doesn't exist anymore is pretty ignorant. in any event, sorry to hear it happened, but your thinking is in line. you have more than that lady will ever have. if anything, feel sorry for her and her close-mindedness.

Just to let you guys know, you're all tools for falling into the Original poster's trap. He copied his bleeding heart story from the below link:

http://www.lawstudentparadise.com/forums/law-students-general-discussion/8272-racism-hurts.html

The above post was originally posted there on August 24th, 2006. 5 bucks says that "Beerlaw" doesn't even have dark skin.

He's just that idiot who makes up new screen names over and over again and copies crap off the internet and passes it off as his own.

I guess the topic for this post really should have been "Plagerism Hurts"

secret99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »
I think "Vik" should not have really put it there .. It is OK for some anonymous poster to say stupid *&^% and flame, but for a credible person to tell a real life story like this? It is depressing.

Let me tell you, where I grew up it was all about the social class. I fuking hate that concept, or any other dividing concept that people tend to cling on to. I grew up almost feeling guilty and ashamed that my family was educated, well traveled, well read, and just well off ... Especially considering the mixture of ethnic backgrounds in my fam, it was always hard to please everyone. I had friends on both sides of the fence, and had to justify every move that my family made, whether political, social, or private ... ughh .. horrific ...

And then people wonder why I am a liberal, and why I feel or believe the way I do. Let's face it, most conservatives (including the elite) are hierarchical and divisive to no end. (And I should know best, did major campaign work on both sides.) So in situations like those, I would say, it is not worth dragging yourself down to the level of what I'd like to call "the uneducated."

youtube

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »