Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racism Hurts  (Read 21663 times)

aisha

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Racism Hurts
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »

The and Hispanic soldiers -- about 40 of them, there were about 90 men in the unit -- shot into the air. They wouldn't shoot at the villagers in the ditch. The soldiers collected people in three ditches and just began to shoot them. The blacks and Hispanics shot up in the air, but the mostly white, lower middle class soldiers -- the kids who join the Army Reserve today and National Guard looking for extra dollars -- those kind of kids did the killing.

I don't see how one would equate killing people with the tasks a lawyer performs ... unless the latter go into politics and become officials giving orders when, where and whom to kill! Otherwise, it's just inconceivable that a minority lawyer would hesitate to complete properly the "white man"'s work!

It's really troubling to see the black/Hispanic soldiers being told by the mutilated white soldier he had been punished for not having the courage to "plug" the kid the next day as Calley ordered him to ... I bet they felt at that point in time twice as guilty as they did two days before!

maximillien

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 04:42:11 AM »

It's really troubling to see the black/Hispanic soldiers being told by the mutilated white soldier he had been punished for not having the courage to "plug" the kid the next day as Calley ordered him to ... I bet they felt at that point in time twice as guilty as they did two days before!

What kind of twisted, sick perverted freak are you, aisha, to interpret the story in this manner?

mensman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 05:40:10 AM »

I would guess you're behaving like a lawyer with a sense of entitlement behaves ... you know, nobody likes arrogant people who think they can do whatever they want just because they drive a fancy car ... or because they happen to be lawyers, for that matter ... the blond lady simply could not swallow down that the person in front of her behaving like that was someone with dark skin; she could have probably kept her mouth shut had you been white, but she just could not understand how someone like you, who according to conventional wisdom is supposed to feel inferior, could act the way you were acting. So I agree with the previous poster, both of you were being discriminatory and divisive.

aquaductus, you obviously hate lawyers! I'm sorry but how do you know that the guy was behaving like a "lawyer with a sense of entitlement" behaves? What does that mean in the first place? How do you know that the guy of the story was not behaving like a learned person of good manners behaves?! And that the blonde was not a person of a lower class, thus being pretty sure she would be rejected by the guy?! How can you be so sure to conclude that it was the guy's fault that made the blond woman react the way she did?! May it not be that it was her that, having no better way to compensate for her inadequacy and inferiority, used the race card to frustrate the guy and make it appear that she was the winner?!

I'd guess that's likey to happen if the "blonde" also were minority just like the guy .. Indian, black, whatever ..
america, i understand you, but there's to be an easier way!

jolie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 06:33:33 AM »

What kind of twisted, sick perverted freak are you, aisha, to interpret the story in this manner?

Indeed, this person is an inverted human. His/her unconscious is his/her conscious. This person acts out the most repressed drives, fantasies, and wishes of humanity. He/she is not the devil -- but the banality of evil. Just an ordinary, mentally disturbed failure, a member of a mentally disturbed and failing profession, living through disturbed and failing times.

denis

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 06:50:10 AM »

Man you have some deep-rooted insecurities if you let her break you that easy. Look my Dad is kida old. When he grew up they had the colered water fountains , separate schools, and yadda yadda yadda. My dad always taught me not to abandon who I am (no matter how much education and or money I have I am still black) and to always work very hard to strive for excellence. Because between the media, narrow mindsets, and statistics many have extremely low expectations for you. And once you cross all of the T's and dot all of the I's you have to have thick skin becaue you still have to coexist in midst of all of this foolishness. In a perfect world we are ALL EQUEAL. But this is America we al larent treated as such.

lovie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »

aquaductus, you obviously hate lawyers! I'm sorry but how do you know that the guy was behaving like a "lawyer with a sense of entitlement" behaves? What does that mean in the first place? How do you know that the guy of the story was not behaving like a learned person of good manners behaves?! And that the blonde was not a person of a lower class, thus being pretty sure she would be rejected by the guy?! How can you be so sure to conclude that it was the guy's fault that made the blond woman react the way she did?! May it not be that it was her that, having no better way to compensate for her inadequacy and inferiority, used the race card to frustrate the guy and make it appear that she was the winner?!

I'd guess that's likey to happen if the "blonde" also were minority just like the guy .. Indian, black, whatever ..

Quite the opposite! At least theoretically, that's more likely to happen if the discriminator (which in this case was a "blonde") is not minority, as s/he would have a reason to feel inferior/inadequate (being of a lower social class and caste) -- but one for which she can somehow compensate for, given the fact that s/he is of a "higher" race (discriminator has 1 advantage, 1 disadvantage)

In the case of a black/Indian/Hispanic, the "reason" to be prejudicial towards another black/Indian/Hispanic who has some sort of "social status" compared to the "discriminator" would be that, minorities could not, and should not, aspire to, and actually have an elevated social status (discriminator has 1 disadvantage)

malittlecherryblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:26 AM »

Quite the opposite! At least theoretically, that's more likely to happen if the discriminator (which in this case was a "blonde") is not minority, as s/he would have a reason to feel inferior/inadequate (being of a lower social class and caste) -- but one for which she can somehow compensate for, given the fact that s/he is of a "higher" race (discriminator has 1 advantage, 1 disadvantage)

In the case of a black/Indian/Hispanic, the "reason" to be prejudicial towards another black/Indian/Hispanic who has some sort of "social status" compared to the "discriminator" would be that, minorities could not, and should not, aspire to, and actually have an elevated social status (discriminator has 1 disadvantage)

Minorities are invariably discriminated against and oppressed. The oppressed adopt an attitude of "adhesion" to the oppressor and they cannot "consider" him sufficiently clearly to objectivize him -- to discover him "outside" themselves. Their perception of themselves as opposites of the oppressor does not yet signify engagement in a struggle to overcome the contradiction; the one pole aspires not to liberation, but to identification with its opposite pole.

The oppressed cannot perceive clearly the "order" which serves the interests of the oppressors whose image they have internalized. Chaffing under the restrictions of this order, they often manifest a type of horizontal violence, striking out at their own comrades for the pettiest reasons. This is when niggers beat each other up. It is possible that in this behavior they are once more manifesting their duality. Because the oppressor exists within their oppressed comrades, when they attack those comrades they are indirectly attacking the oppressor as well.

Most white people are also oppressed. At a certain point in their existential experience the oppressed feel an irresistible attraction towards the oppressors and their way of life. Sharing this way of life becomes an overpowering aspiration. In their alienation, the oppressed want at any cost to resemble the oppressors, to imitate them, to follow them. This phenomenon is especially prevalent in the middle-class oppressed, who yearn to be equal to the "eminent" men and women of the upper class.

Self-depreciation is another characteristic of the oppressed, which derives from their internalization of the opinion the oppressors hold of them. So often do they hear that they are good for nothing, know nothing and are incapble of learning anything -- that they are sick, lazy, and unproductive -- that in the end they become convinced of their own unfitness. They call themselves ignorant and say the "professor" is the one who has knowledge and to whom they should listen. The criteria of knowledge imposed upon them are the conventional ones. As long as the oppressed' ambiguity persists, the oppressed are reluctant to resist, and totally lack confidence in themselves.

ñ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 07:50:53 AM »

Minorities are invariably discriminated against and oppressed. The oppressed adopt an attitude of "adhesion" to the oppressor and they cannot "consider" him sufficiently clearly to objectivize him -- to discover him "outside" themselves. Their perception of themselves as opposites of the oppressor does not yet signify engagement in a struggle to overcome the contradiction; the one pole aspires not to liberation, but to identification with its opposite pole.

The oppressed cannot perceive clearly the "order" which serves the interests of the oppressors whose image they have internalized. Chaffing under the restrictions of this order, they often manifest a type of horizontal violence, striking out at their own comrades for the pettiest reasons. This is when niggers beat each other up. It is possible that in this behavior they are once more manifesting their duality. Because the oppressor exists within their oppressed comrades, when they attack those comrades they are indirectly attacking the oppressor as well.

Most white people are also oppressed. At a certain point in their existential experience the oppressed feel an irresistible attraction towards the oppressors and their way of life. Sharing this way of life becomes an overpowering aspiration. In their alienation, the oppressed want at any cost to resemble the oppressors, to imitate them, to follow them. This phenomenon is especially prevalent in the middle-class oppressed, who yearn to be equal to the "eminent" men and women of the upper class.

Self-depreciation is another characteristic of the oppressed, which derives from their internalization of the opinion the oppressors hold of them. So often do they hear that they are good for nothing, know nothing and are incapble of learning anything -- that they are sick, lazy, and unproductive -- that in the end they become convinced of their own unfitness. They call themselves ignorant and say the "professor" is the one who has knowledge and to whom they should listen. The criteria of knowledge imposed upon them are the conventional ones. As long as the oppressed' ambiguity persists, the oppressed are reluctant to resist, and totally lack confidence in themselves.

It is generally assumed that women will exclude themselves from violence-prone groups due to their own socialization. Yet, young women are attracted to ultra-right ideologies for reasons not found among their male counterparts; for instance, majority of the females evince xenophobic tendencies. Intolerant, anti-foreigner sentiments may be the means by which female extremists vent their frustrations over gender inequality per se.
America is like Rome in the days before it fell, full of criminals, festering in garbage. Most people still think of America as being number 1, yet I don't really know what the contest is.

agrippina

• View Profile
Race Matters ..
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:24 AM »
In June 2005, Orpah Winfrey was denied access to the Hermès company's flagship store in Paris, France. Winfrey arrived 15 minutes after the store's formal closing time, though the store was still very active and high end stores routinely extend hours for VIP customers. Winfrey believed she would have been allowed in the store if she were a white celebrity. "I know the difference between a store that is closed and a store that is closed to me," explained Winfrey. In September 2005, Hermès USA CEO Robert Chavez was a guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show and sincerely apologized for a rude employee.

traptie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 05:55:59 AM »
Oprah should shut the @#!* up -- were she not black she would have never been who she's today. A white woman of her "caliber" -- with her crappy interviewing style and the like -- would be considered average at best.