Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To law or not to law  (Read 435 times)

GamePhase

• View Profile
To law or not to law
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
I'm considering going into patent law. I'm just finishing my MS and already have a BS in Computer Engineering. Can anyone recommend specific books, blogs, or any other resources which can help me make my decision? Law school costs time and money, and I really want to be sure this is what I want. Although money is a big incentive, I really want to know if I would enjoy this profession.

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: To law or not to law
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »
What sort of computer engineering program? Was it more electrical engineering or computer science? What interests you in patent law or is making you research it in the first place?

GamePhase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
My interests are shifted more towards computer science topics, especially networking. But I did take many EE courses in my undergrad, so I have a strong background on that too.

Honestly, the big paycheck is what initially geared my attention towards this career path. Other than that, engineering work at the Master's level is at least initially pretty dull and monotonous (permanently stuck in front of a computer). I've also become disappointed with the lack of social and networking skills of the people in this area, which makes me feel depressed at times.

On the other hand I don't think these by themselves are enough reasons to jump boats. I guess law can also be dull and excitement in any career depends on what you make out of it. Plus being an attorney certainly requires longer hours of work. So that's why I'm asking about any particularly good resources that talk about patent law work.

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
I can relate. I'm a former programmer with a major of Computer Information Systems (business school) after switching from Computer Science (school of engineering). If you're interested in the technology side of law you might want to look into intellectual property rather than just patent law (a subset of IP).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property