Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Was called on today  (Read 593 times)

Ianr1234

• View Profile
Was called on today
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:22:18 PM »
Today in one of my class my name was called.  I had to brief the case and then answer any hypothetical the professor asked.  I was so flustered by being called on that I really couldnít give out any good answers.  I had read the case and I understood the material.  I felt like an idiot, but my heart was just racing so fast that all I could think about was getting an answer out so I didnít have to talk anymore.  It ranks right up there as one of the worst experiences of my life. 

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Was called on today
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »
dont sweat it, by tommorow it will be someone else's turn to look like an idiot and your classmates will have forgotten all about you. plus, dont forget class preparedness has absolutely no impact on grades.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 02:30:28 PM »
yeah honestly don't worry about it, you just have to think faster on your feet that's all, it's not the end of the world if your wrong in class.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
Congratulations, you broke your cherry!

To add to what has been said, you WILL get better at this, and less nervous about speaking in real time about the law. And fast.

The getting called on in class thing has one aspect that makes it particularily impossible to deal with: the professor could care less if your answers are right or not. He has called on you merely to use you as an example of what's wrong with EVERY argument. The best you can do is smile, relax, and keep changing your mind every time the question is placed in a different perspective, as if you give a *&^%.

Really, the only way to screw up here is to not answer at all. (That typically only happens to those who are convinced that there is a right answer in the law. There is not. The law is about who argues the loudest and clearest.)

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »
My personal strategy is to give it right back to the professor.  While everyone sits there with their head down, have your head up and look your prof straight in the eye as if to ask to be called on.  If he makes you look like a male private part, take it proudly and do your best not to show embarassment. 

And don't use the excuse that you're shy - what's gonna happen when you have to make an appeal in front of 3 judges who are going to grill the hell out of your brief?  Or what about making a case in front of a jury?  Bottom line is this profession is about using words - both oral and written.  You have to be excellent in both uses and so don't be scared of your prof - give it right back to 'em!

PS - that wasn't meant for the OP, just my $0.02 in general...I hate it when I see people get shriveled up like a scared turtle in the middle of class!